In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

browning takedown 22 serial number

DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
I just acquired a Belgian Browning grade 1 takedown 22 auto and want to know the year it was made. the serial number XXXX8T37 which is located on the right side of the receiver does not correspond to the Browning information supplied in the Blue Book. The closest I can come to what the chart lists is for 1968, but the chart says the serial number should begin with 8T or 8E. Mine begins with 4 numbers. Can anyone give any info?

Pete

Comments

• PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have one that I bought in 1968 and it has a serial no that is 8T97xxx.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get that information on the Browning website.

Neal
  • DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To Neal Myers
    I went to the website and checked the charts, but nothing there relates to my serial number which is located on the top front right side. The Jap numbers are on the lower rear corner on the right side
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Disregard what is on the Browning web-site, regarding serial numbers. I had a Challenger .22 Pistol made in 1969 whose date code, "U9" was was at the end of the serial number, similarly to your rifle. According to the U.S. Browning site it shouldn't have been numbered that way. Rather the date code "U9" should have preceded the serial number. Obviously for some reason, there not aware of the variances in serial numbering?
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to find the ser. no. take the gun apart by the switch on the bottom ejection port. Ser, no. should be on face of receiver.
    edited November -1
    To select-fire, did what you suggested, no number there
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    To select-fire I see what you mean but mine has no numbers at all Thanks
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Based on what rufe-snow has found, it would be likely that your rifle was made in 1937.

Neal
    edited November -1
    To Neal Myers, I'm 100% sure it's in the 60's, if it were 1937 the serial number would be on the barrel, not the receiver, the receiver would be grooved for a scope mount, and the stock would be attached with a screw behind the grip. Mine has no grooved receiver, has 2 tappings on the barrel to accept a scope mount, and is fastened at the buttplate