In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 Question

Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
If you wanted a good 1911 would it be better to buy the Springfield and add the options you wanted yourself, or buy a Kimber that is already tricked out, or something else that I have not mentioned? You guys generally give good advice so that is what I am trying to get again. Thanks guys!
JC

KungFu.gif
Opinions are like azzholes, eveyone's got one, and this just happens to be mine!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    The slide on my .48acp Colt Series 70 Government Model keeps locking back during firing. I've tried replacing magazine to no success. I though it might be I'm not holding it right but that doesn't seem to the case either. Might it be the slide stop spring?
    Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a new Kimber custom target. Loaded some 160 grn. with 4.7 grn of titegroup. Using a 10# spring. Most shots cycle fine but I am getting a few that the slide wont come forward all the way after the shot. Slide stops about 1/8" short. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Im finally buying another handgun, and am pretty new to the automatic type. Im looking at the Springfield 1911 GI. The difference between this model and the Military Spec is a beveled magazine well, polished feed ramp and a throated barrel. What are they? I hear all about "tricking out" theese guns, but is a basic model any less reliable than a fully loaded one?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I want to get a 1911, but I had a question about capacity. Do all 1911s accept the 13 round magazines, or is it only a few? I always thought that most 1911s only accepted the 7 round single stack mags, but my friend says not so. I've been wrong plenty of times before, so I thought I'd double check before making a purchase. If they are 2 different guns, how can you tell the difference?
    thanks guys.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is, or is there a difference between a government model and an officers model 1911? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    am thinking about gettin a 1911 style pistole . . .

what are the best ones to get without paying to much?

also i am trying to decide between 10mm an 45ACP . . would be doing alot of target shootin (nothing seriouse though)

i am looking for a full size model between 4 1/3 - 5 inch barrel
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what would cause unburned powder to come back in your face and arms after shooting? The ammo is factory Federal/american eagle, Remmington/umc, and speer?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Who out there for major makers of 1911s (Colt, SA, Auto Ordnance, S&W...and so on) is using series 80 firing systems?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm waiting on a 1911 6rd. compact.

Will a 7 rd. standard mag fit right/well if I install a speedwell?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did Remington Arms Co. (not Remington Rand) Make any 1911 pistols during wartime production runs, or any 1911's up till now?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've seen a bunch of 1911's that have a stainless frame and a blue slide I shot with a guy thats 1911 was a stainless slide with a blued frame. Does that make any differents in how it wears or shoots? He has been a factory shooter for colt,randell,les baer or at least shot those in comp. The last one I think was his own set up a randell slide with a colt or maybe essex frame. He is selling off a bunch of his stuff and I am helping him go through stuff. Anyway just wondering about the stainless slide with the blued frame.

bull.txt
    col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there a company that makes 1911's with a slide release and mag release on the right side of the gun, any after-market parts?? or custom shops that could do this?? all help greatly apprieciated
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The description of the 1911A1 clone said that it had the aluminum trigger. I guess that the original one did too. Why?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello all,
    I'm new to this board after lurking for quite a while.

I have a couple of questions that I was hoping to get some help with...

I have a 1911. No maker name appears on it, the Frame has the following markings:
    Trigger Guard where it meets the frame up top (safety side) - a "J"
    Covered by the grips (safety side) - TR4
    Other side - No. 1911
    Slide - very faint - NM7791*** (is this a National match?)

My question is - What in the world do I have?

My other question is this. The frame is solid, but pitted in a few places. I was looking to replace the frame and came across a Caspian frame and a Les Baer. The Caspian is a little less expensive than the Baer, and I've also been looking at the Essex frame. If any one has any information regarding performance/looks/etc I would like to hear. Price isn't too much of an option, but I would like to keep it under $500 for the complete frame.

Thanks
    Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Kimber 1911 Pro CDP II Serial no. KR21692

The front sight has what looks like a tiny cylinder of glass bedded in it as well on both sides of the rear sight.
    I can't see them well even in only moderately shaded areas.
    Any recommendations on sights will be appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm completely new to the 1911 as you can tell by this question. What is the difference between the "commander" receiver to a standard one?

Thanks,

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hi guys bought a new springfield armory 1911A1 3 montha ago awsome shooting gun only things i changed were grips to pachmyr american legend and return spring plug was black now stainless , the gun is all stainless mil spec version.Was thinking about wilson combat trigger and hammer both skeletel or is there something more important to change or what i am asking would it be worth it to change anything ,this is my first 45 any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi All,

This gun was made by Stuart Nuss out of Montana. From what I understand, more of a part time Gunsmith than a full time custom shop. Has any body heard of him or his work, and what would you guess the value is?

Here are some pictures:

22100136752.jpg
    22100127917.jpg
    22100117352.jpg

Just wondering what the expert opions are. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ,,,,,have been given a Colt 1911 (1918 WW1 Replica-01918) that falls within the Colt recall serial numbers,,,,,,have no desire to shoot this weapon,,,,,,,so, would you return it to Colt or leave as is with a printed recall notice in the box for future ref after I'm gone,,,,,,,any input appreciated,,,,,,,
  • Options
    MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    "Series 80" is Colt's term for it's generation of pistols with the firing pin block safety.

So the answer to your question would be Colt and Colt alone. There are others that use different firing pin safety systems.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello The series 80 "SYSTEM" is by colt and IMHO a poor system at best because of 2 things one it does away with the half cock notch as most of us know it and instead it is just a ledge on the hammer.the second bad point is the fireing pin block is moved by the trigger this increases the trigger pull and most PISTOLSMITH's will not alter these parts.The better SYSTEM is the SWARTZ safety that was used buy Colt before WW II and it looks the same but the fireing pin block is worked by the grip safety some KIMBERS use this system because they did not have to pay royality to Swartz estate like Colt would have had to pay.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I consider both undesirable, but if you have ever picked up a Kimber or S&W 1911 mutant and the gun not fired because the Swartz ripoff misfire inducer let the trigger drop the hammer before the firing pin was unblocked, you would not call it superior to the Series 80. Colt got the bugs out of that gimmick a while back, although I saw some doozies when it was new on the market.

Patents don't run for 50 years, I doubt Colt would have owed the Swartz estate anything when they decided they needed lawyer levers in their guns in 1983.

Only Colt can be a "Series 80", it is a registered trademark.
    Para-Ordnance and Taurus use the same linkage off the trigger.

Kimber uses a cheapened (MIM) version of the 1930s Colt-Swartz design working off the grip safety.
    S&W uses a firing pin block working off the grip safety, a combination of Swartz and what they use in their own design guns.

I don't offhand know of another 1911 mutant with mechanical firing pin block. Several, like Springfield Armory, Inc., use titanium firing pins and stiff firing pin springs to pass the California destructive test and bribery program.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Kimber system is only on the external extractor pistols.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    The Kimber system is only on the external extractor pistols.

sorry but ALL kimber II's have the schwartz safety in them