In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

questions about Winchester model 97

callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
Hi experts, hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions about a shotgun. My wife's grandfather bought (or may have been given) a Winchester Model 97 from an old neighbor many years ago. The model number (on both the barrel and the frame) match: 779735 E. The barrel is approximately 24 inches long. Does this mean it was shortened?

My grandfather-in-law (GIL) thinks it's worthless because the previous owner put an adjustable choke on the end. The gun was marked "FULL" from the factory (I'm assuming). The stock is in decent shape, but has a rubber butt plate on it. The action is good and smooth, but my GIL has never fired it, so we don't know how well it functions. Otherwise, there's some loss of blue (don't rightly know how to judge it properly), and some pitting on the barrel, but nothing major.

I called Winchester, and according to them, it was made in 1926. However, according to this website it was made in 1928:
http://oldguns.net/sn_php/windateslookup.php?file=win1897.dat

Based on what I've described (sorry, no pictures), can anyone give me more info on this shotgun? Despite the adjustable choke, does it have any value? Would it still work if fired? Any advice or information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, the barrel has been shortened (cutdown), and your GIL is not very far off the mark as to its value. The adjustable choke further hurts its resale value. Essentially, it has zero collector value, and very little value as a "shooter". What it is actually worth will be the sum of the remaining useable parts that have not been altered. Only a gunsmith can tell you if if it still in firing condition. Be advised that it can only handle non-magnum 2-3/4-inch shells.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Interesting, thanks. That's pretty much what I figured. I didn't think the barrel came from the manufacturer that short. Can the shotgun be refurbished to original specs? Or is it a lost cause as a collectible all-together? I guess it could still be a fun shooter since it's like a semi-automatic.

Speaking of which, is there a term to describe it's firing cycle? I understand that as long as you keep the trigger depressed, it will fire with every pump action.
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello callktulu: First off it's NOT WORTHLESS!! This gun can have many values, but as a collector no, in it's present condition!

First as a shooter, I can only guess somewhere between $200-$350.

Second, for someone looking for one to turn into a Cowboy Action Shooter, (they shorten the barrel even more) maybe in the $300-$400.

Third on the parts market, about $300-$500 depending on the condition of the parts. (stocks, bolt, receiver, tube, barrel etc etc).

Now there are original barrels on the parts market. Finding one of this vintage is not too hard. Depending on length, choke, and condition, about $75-$175. Then you would have to have a Winchester gunsmith do the barrel swap, about another $100-$150. In other words, about $250 minimum to get it back to "original" configuration, then the price of the gun, could go up to as much $500-$600.

Again it's not worthless!!! It just takes the right approach to get the maximum $$$ from it.

Best Regards

Dave

To answer your second question, this gun does not have a "trigger disconnector" this is what allows you to hold the trigger and just pump and fire.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ah, "trigger disconnector." I knew there was an official term, thank you.

And thanks for the additional info. I don't know if I want to go to so much trouble to restore it, but I might inherit it from my GIL, and therefor want to sell it if it's not in good shooting condition.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    callktulu,

"Would it still work if fired?"

We would have no idea because it's not in our hands to look over and check for safety. Take it to a gunsmith for a thorough cleaning and going over and let them help you with this question.

"Despite the adjustable choke, does it have any value?"

Since I don't collect firearms, I won't offer an opinion on the collectable value. But, if you were to offer this shotgun to the right group of shooters, you might just get some real money for it despite the adjustable choke.

In my area of the country the M97 is extremely popular. It's a rare day to find any M97's for sale whether in a store or listed privately. Cowboy Action Shooters buy them up as fast as they come on the market because they use the M97 frequently in their practice and competition format. When you do see one, the price will run anywhere from $300.00 for a true junker all the way up to $1,000.00 for something original and exceptional.

SHOTGUNS
    Any side by side shotgun typical of the era without automatic ejectors, with or without external hammers, with single or double triggers. Any lever action or pump shotgun with an exposed hammer (e.g., Winchester Model 1887 or 1897). Military configurations are not allowed.

"Any advice or information is greatly appreciated."

Have a gunsmith go through it completely. Look into marketing it to right group of shooters. Use the internet to gather some information and assess what your M97 might be worth. Then offer it for sale or auction, hopefully on GB.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All good info and advice, thank you!

quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    ....Then offer it for sale or auction, hopefully on GB.

Sounds to me like YOU want to bid on it![:D]
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    THE OTHERS HAVE GIVEN YOU GOOD ADVISE, I'VE CONVERTED A BUNCH OF THESE FOR COWBOY SHOOTERS AND THEY WORK WELL (ALSO MAKE GOOD BIRD GUNS). THE BARRELS ARE HEAVEY ENOUGHT TO PUT SCREW-IN CHOKES IN SO YOU CAN GET RID OF THE 'CORN COB'. RIGHT NOW IT'S PROBABLY WORTH $250/350 AS IS.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    THE BARRELS ARE HEAVEY ENOUGHT TO PUT SCREW-IN CHOKES IN SO YOU CAN GET RID OF THE 'CORN COB'.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does "corn cob" mean? Is that the after-market adjustable choke that was put on? You mean it just screws off?[?]
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would buy it- it is not worthless! I bet I would pay $300. Throw up an auction $1 and I'll bid
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not just yet. It's not even mine. I'm sure my GIL doesn't want to involve himseld in an on-line auction.