In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 Mil-Spec problems with extractor

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
Just bought a new Mil-Spec pistol, fired a few hundred rounds thru it, but every once in a while a spent case gets trapped under the extractor and jams the pistol up. Also, the spent cases are ejected directly back towards my face. I have other 1911's and they eject to the side. What can I do to correct these two problems?
Thanks for any info!

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello the extractor sound like it needs to be adjusted with the slide off of the frame turn the slide upside down and slide a empty case up the breach face the extractor should hold the case but it should not take much force to slide under the extractor hook . You can remove the extractor and form it to have more or less tension. while you have it out with a very narrow stone conture the lower area behind the hook to make for a smooth feed. To adjust on where the case ejects buy yourself an extended ejector and contour the nose so it is foward at the top edge this will make it hit higher up on the empty case and angle the case out the side and not up and back into your face. The ejection port may need to be lowered but this is a job for a gunsmith that knows what to do. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chris8161,

This is a good concise explanation complete with illustrations:

Extractor Tuning Tips

By Bill Wilson

http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

Good Luck!
  • Options
    RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt 1911A1 replica (brand new) with the same symtoms--nervewracking to shoot with the direct-in-the-face ejection. I sent it to Colt for servicing twice and with only slight improvement. I'm thinking this gun was intended as a "safe queen" or coffee table display since it is so nasty to shoot. The gun is gorgeous and functions perfectly aside from the bad ejection.

Here's a good website with 1911 info and links http://www.sightm1911.com/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies, I will attempt the fixes recommended.
  • Options
    ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have two concerns. The ejector and the extractor. If it's a true mil-spec then chances are good you have the shorter ejector. That explains the rounds coming right at you. I installed an extended ejector on my Springfield 1991A1, but it's not easy. This will push them out sooner as the slide cycles, which ejects them more to the right. You've already heard good advice on extractor.

I've been told the original ejector was shorter to get the rounds to eject right over your right shoulder. This works well in fox holes when someone is right next to you. Not sure how true it is but it makes sense. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is a short ejector, there is no nose or point on it.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Chris buy an extended ejector it will have a nose that sticks out the front when mounted on the frame stone this nose so the top is forward of the bottom this will let the ejector contact the left side of the empty case head higher up and when it pivots out from under the extractor it will be more to the side than straight up and back.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Perry, I ordered an ejector from Brownells. I also took the extractor out and reduced the tension slightly. Thanks for the good advice!