In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun Bluing Gone Haywire...

cmd66cmd66 Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
I just tried bluing my Ak receiver with Casey Birchwood bluing. What a freakin disaster! That stuff is garbage. I followed the instruction's exactly, it made the receiver a kinda green color. I took my grinder with the wire wheel and removed the crap, it didn't even penetrate the metal.Any suggestion's please?

Comments

• Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Hi-temp bar-b-que black paint. Sorta looks like parkerizing...
  • Options
    cmd66cmd66 Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya know I was wondering about some hi temp paint. I might give that a try.
  • Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    For an AK, FAL, etc., low cost, durable, do-it-yourself finish.....it's hard to beat the old BBQ high temp paint. I've done several in the past with this and I find that if you break down the rifle into pieces, paint them, then bake the painted parts in the oven (lets say 225-300 deg.) for about 30min. to 1hr, it will cure the paint and make it much more durable. Also keeps the paint from coming off on your hands when you handle it, which happened to me before I baked them.

Ben
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also, check out Brownells & their spray on & bake on finishes. I've used the BBQ spray paint, the Brownells is a little better. Gives a better real black finish also.

I've also found black engine paint works very well & is durable.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Most cold blues leave alot to be deisred. Even if it turned out to look nice it would have worn quickly and smelled like hell.

I second the idea of BBQ paint or if you want to get something a bit better Brownells sells gunkote in a spray can.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wehmacht: HOW 'BOUT IT! I hate the smell of that crap, and started reblueing my own stuff years ago to get away from cold blue "blues" as soon as I could! Dura-Coat makes a really excellent, if not cheap product.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Also check out the truck bed paint, it's very tough......
  • Options
    Texas BearTexas Bear Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Except for touching up very small spots with cold blue, I gave up on doing it my self if I want an acceptable result, I found a gunsmith that is reasonable and does a great job. Good Luck, Texas Bear
  • Options
    WillRussWillRuss Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.vansgunblue.com/
    This is stuff is so easy, it's scarey. Just degrease the metal, warm it up, and wipe it on for about 30 seconds. Instant deep blue-black. Then just put a good coat of oil on it and you're done. If you really want an even blue, remove all of the old blue first by soaking it in vinegar for a couple hours, then rub it with 000 steel wool.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I tried Vans....it wore off too fast and was only marginally better adn easier than any of the others.