In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Alaskan 454 / 45 locking up

qsecofrqsecofr Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
I wanted to post this to see if anyone else has noticed this particular problem with the Alaskan 454. I bought mine new this year and from the beginning I had locking up problem. I just sent it back to Ruger to see if they can figure out what is wrong. This doesn't make me feel are warm and cozy about my new bear protection gun.

+++++++++++++ Sent to Ruger with gun ++++++++++++
Attention: Service Department
I am the original owner of this Alaskan. I purchased it in March 2007. It "locks-up" after shooting two bullets. I have put a total of 60 new factory rounds through this gun.

Description of problem:

On the first trip to the range I fired 40 rounds of Colt 45 new factory ammunition.
After firing two shots the entire gun would seize to not allow trigger, hammer, or cylinder movement. After approximately 30 seconds the cylinder would free and allow me to turn it into a locking place and begin firing. Again after two rounds the entire gun would seize. After running through 40 rounds of continual seizing I decided to stop. After leaving the range the gun was immediately cleaned.

On my second and last trip to the range I fired 20 rounds of Colt 45 new factory ammunition from a different manufacturer. I hoped that my problem the first time at the range was a result of faulty ammunition, so this was an entirely new box from a different manufacturer. I experienced the exact same problem. After firing two shots the entire gun would seize. Hugely embarrassing time at the range because I was attending a CCW permit course and everyone saw me having problems with my new pistol. I did not clean the gun after the second trip on April 29, 2007. I decided to ship it as-is after 20 rounds so you can see it exactly as it was at the range.

I think the problem might have something to do with heat. It almost seems that it heats up and causes a malfunction in either a safety mechanism or cylinder operation. I never did try to shoot the larger 454 caliber bullets through the gun. I would greatly appreciate you testing both the 45 and 454 caliber rounds. The primary use of this gun will be for protection in the forest against large animals (bears, etc.) where I will actually carry the 454 caliber.

Thank you,

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If anybody would know what your problem could be? It would be some of the folks who post to this forum. Click on this link.

http://www.rugerforum.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/rugerforum//forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Ruger-Smithing&number=12&DaysPrune=5&LastLogin=
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It could be a number of things such as incorrect barrel/cylinder gap, incorrect headspace, incorrect angle of recoil plate or a timing problem in the lockwork.
    Since your gun will be used for serious self defense it has to function 100%.
    You did the right thing by returning it. I hope you will insist the gun be properly test fired after repairs are made.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    It could be a number of things such as incorrect barrel/cylinder gap, incorrect headspace, incorrect angle of recoil plate or a timing problem in the lockwork.
    Since your gun will be used for serious self defense it has to function 100%.
    You did the right thing by returning it. I hope you will insist the gun be properly test fired after repairs are made.

Do I need to call Ruger and ask them to do extra test firing? I assumed they would do this since there is a problem. I will be giving them a call. Thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would. Ruger should be final inspecting and proving the gun not you.
  • Options
    big genobig geno Member Posts: 2,685 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have the same problem with a super redhawk when mine locks up i can unlock it by turning the cylinder back and forth by hand please post what the problem was when you find out i wrote to ruger and they wrote back saying the wanted me to send it in before i shot it anymore but i havnt had time to mail it
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by big geno
    i have the same problem with a super redhawk when mine locks up i can unlock it by turning the cylinder back and forth by hand please post what the problem was when you find out i wrote to ruger and they wrote back saying the wanted me to send it in before i shot it anymore but i havnt had time to mail it

I just checked the status and found out that it takes about 4 weeks to turn a gun around in the Ruger service department. So it may be a while before I post the results.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I had a similar problem with the first model of the S&W model 66 .357 magnum revolver in stainless steel. First time at the range I rapid fired some magnum loads and the gun locked up. I took it home and just by chance I spend a few evenings sitting watching television while spinning the cylinder of the revolver. It must have somehow smoothed the problem out because I never had the problem again.

Since stainless steel heats up faster than carbon steel, I am guessing your Ruger and my Smith just had too tight a clearance and the heat closed those clearances.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you haven't sent the gun in yet, check the headspace and cyl/bbl gap with feeler gages. If you have, check them when you get it back.
    The bbl/cyl gap with cyl full forward should be .005-.008". Check all chambers because there can be runout of front and/or rear cylinder faces.
    To check the headspace, put in fired cases preferrably with primers knocked out or w/o burrs around the F.P. indentation. An .008" feeler gage should clear case heads in any of the six positions with the cylinder held to the rear. If not, some carefull filing/ machining needs to be done.
    Also look for burrs in fired primers around the F.P. indentation that blow back into the F.P. bushing hole in the frame.
    Without proper clearances, a granule of unburnt powder or powder flash residue can easily tie up a revolver.
    In addressing the flash residue problem, Colt put in three rotating surfaces on their 1st and 2nd Generation SAA models; cyl to bushing, bushing to cyl pin and cyl pin to frame. On Rugers there's only one.
    More can be involved in revolvers jamming with high pressure cartridges so test it with them.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 4" Colt Python in the late 70's that did this and had to clear it by turning the cylinder in my hand as above, but only with S&W 357 magnum shells.

The Colt authorized repair station in Las Vegas at the time test fired and checked it out and said it was fine, but they were using ammunition manufactured by other factories.

I surmise that the S&W was too hot for the Python and switched to Remington and never had a problem after that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I got my gun back late last week. Turn around time for Ruger was only three weeks. I am impressed.

No information on what was repaired. I did not try to measure anything prior to shipping. I don't have any tools for doing that.
    I called Ruger and asked what was fixed and they would not tell me. The only thing they will acknowledge is that the gun was repaired.

I took it to the range today and it works just fine with the 45 colt cartridges. I can slow or rapid fire with no problem. I put 125 rounds through it. It is a very very nice and accurate pistol at 50 feet.

---- EXPERTS

I do still need some advice

I fired the 45 (long) colt cartdridges through it first and found the gun was operating as it should. No lock-ups any more. I am very happy.

I decided to try out a few of my high powered 454 cartridges in it. Boy... You had always better be on the shooting side of this gun when it is loaded with 454 carts. It kicks pretty hard. To be honest, if Ruger did not put the custom grips on it I don't think I would have been able to hold onto the gun when rapid firing 454s. Everyone at the range stopped shooting when I began using the hot loads.

Now for the question............
    I could not eject the 454 empty cases out of the cylinder after firing them. They go into the cylinder with ease but ejecting them doesn't work. I had to use my screwdriver to punch them out one by one.

Here is what I think is happening but wanted to run it past the experts here to see what you think. I think since I fired a few 45 long colts through it the cylinders became filthy with lead/etc. Now when I put in the 454 (quite a bit longer than a 45 colt) they got stuck due to the dirty mess the shorter 45s left in the cylinders.

My plan is to thoroughly clean my baby and then go out and shoot only the 454s and see if the problem persists. I am shooting Buffalo Bore ammo. I had my gunsmith look at the casings and he did not see any expansion problems with the brass. He said the brass was very high quality and he thinks the dirty cylinders is the problem.

This whole experience with my new Ruger 454 has made me realize just how important it is to always thoroughly test fire any weapon you plan to use for self defense. If I had not practiced I would not have known these problems existed.

Scott