Model 1910 .45acp?

eboydelleboydell Member Posts: 10,988
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
Am I confused, or didn't John Browning develope a hammerless .45acp prior to the 1911 Colt? I have the .25cal "Baby Browning" and I am about to get the .32cal "Pocket Browning", but I thought that there was also a .45acp built in the same mode. Am I correct or mistaken?[?]

Comments

• md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your thinking of the 1905, I believe the stock guns all had spur or rounded hammers
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe your mistaken. The largest semi-auto, with out a external hammer. That was sold under the Browning name, was the Model 1903. It was chambered for the 9mm Browning Long cartridge, mostly used by Sweden for their military.
  • eboydelleboydell Member Posts: 10,988
    edited November -1
    In the movie "PATTON", one of the generals carried in his shoulder holster what "appeared" to be either a hammerless or rounded hammered automatic. I could not idenify it. Do you think it is a 1905 .45?
  • md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotta tell you it's been a long time since I've seen the movie and I can't remember what they were carrying. I do remember still photo's of Patton with early model Smith .357's and Colt SAA's on his hip.
  • eboydelleboydell Member Posts: 10,988
    edited November -1
    I think they had Model 1903 .32cal.rimless. Patton kept his in his front belt,under his jacket, and the other general had his in his shoulder holster.(It is the scene where the 101st is trapped and Patton says that he can be ready in 48 hours.) I must have seen the movie 100 times!
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen pictures of a prototype enclosed hammer .45 ACP, circa 1908 or 1909. The Army wasn't interested. Colt made no production model "hammerless" recoil operated pistol that I know of, just the blowbacks.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the govt required its front line troop pistol have an exposed hammer for manual cocking. that requirement is still place today.
    hammerless designs were intended for concealment while in dress uniform or in a hq office situation.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Here is what he is talking about I think.

http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/1910.asp