In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester in 7mm

we4wareswe4wares Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hello, I have the opportunity to buy a Model 70 (standard grade)made in 1946? (53xxx)in 7 mm. This rifle is at least 90-95%. I know the rifle is rare, but dont have a clue what it might be worth. Any ideas would be much appreciated. I have the gun in my safe; keeping it for friend who inherited the rifle from his uncle. He is willing to sell to me, but I want to offer him a fair price. I have some nice pics, but can't figure out how to insert them into the post. Thanks in advance. RW

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we4wares,

Welcome to the GB forums!

Instructions for posting pictures in threads are at the top of this forum in a sticky.

Best.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, and welcome to the forums. Being a pre-64, yes, your talked about rifle is rare, but it is either a transistional or post transistional post WWII serial number. That places it in the standard calibers, and makes it not as rare as the pre war rifle in that caliber. Good pics would be a great help, but for your info, the Blue book(which is not the gospel), says in tip-top shape it is worth $1200.00. There are no current listings for the pre-64 in 7mm on the auction, but it looks like most of those listed are going for 700.00 to 1200.00
  • Options
    MadmanMadman Member Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we4wares;
    Welcome to the forum. Pictures and s/n will help. Bert should be along soon with his wisdom. I collect 1952 issue and feel based on the asking prices I've seen on many websites along with GB in any where near original good condition that 7x57 should be $1500 and up.
    Let's see some pics...

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing

Offers to buy, sell or trade are not allowed on GunBroker Forums.

Best.
  • Options
    snickerssnickers Member Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rifle you have in your safe is indeed a very nice Pre 64 to own. Condition is going to play a large part in trying to establish a fair price to pay your friend. Things like the wood and metal finish being original, stock not have been cut with original steel butt plate, no extra holes in the receiver or barrel and original sights would all contribute to a higher priced rifle. If original in the condition you describe retail would at a minimum be $1500.00. You said this was a friend that inherited the rifle from a relative and he wants to sell it. I would let him at least start to set an amount that he would be satisfied with and work from there. If you have too many problems posting pictures you can forward them to me at either Kulgun@aol.com or Kulgun@cox.net . Good Luck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the advice and wisdom. I still can't figure out how to post the pics[:(], I'll email them to "snickers". Maybe he can post them for me. Thanks again!
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    PRE 64 MODEL 70 7 MM MAUSER CALIBER RIFLES ARE WORTH (SELLING) FOR MUCH MORE THAN THE FIGURES LISTED ABOVE.

CHECK PC FIRERAMS.COM SITE.

SAGE 1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just an update on the 7x57 pre 64 model 70. After much research, my friend has decided to keep the rifle[:(]. The rifle, it seems is pretty rare. Found references sighting the 7 mm Mauser was produced in numbers < 1000 in 1945 and that they are rarely seen and even more rarely sold. Who knows what it will be worth in the future; sure would like to put it in my stable though [:)]Thanks. RW
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Further update re: this rifle. My friend decided to sell the rifle on "Broker"; he needed money for a downpayment on a new home. After much spirited bidding, the rifle brought the hefty sum of $6950! I wonder what it will be worth 10 years from now?
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we4wares,

That was a standard grade made in '46?? And someone paid almost 7 grand for it? Those are very nice rifles but, I would say if it was NIB, they still paid about $2950 too much. Good for your friend if he got that, though. I've seen really nice carbines (7x57)go in the fours. Who knows somebody figures Winchester isn't going to reproduce all the great calibers again.