In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

mildew or mold in gunsafe UPDATE

cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have a gunsafe and the rifles and shotguns most all have mildew or mold on the wooden stocks and forends. i have 2 golden rods 18" and one of those recharge moisture asorbing kits in the safe. there is no rust or any other problems on the metal surfaces. does any one know what causes this problem? and how to rectify it? i have talked to several gunsafe companys and they have no idea. one company says it's imposable. I will be greatful for any help. i'm in Alabama, so lots of humidity. " is there anything that won't hurt the woods finish?" i have some belgum Brownings with semi fancy wood and finish.

Comments

• Floyd58523Floyd58523 Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put the safe if possible into a smaller room and run a dehumidifer in that room. Place an electronic humidity gauge on the wall and check humidity. The mold growth is from humidity. I would apply the same materials for storage as museums do for their guns. You can research on the forum for products that are listed.
    You have an investment in your firearms and will need to spend a small amount of money to make sure that they will survive for the next 100 years.
    Check your ammo storage. You may have damage to your ammo if it is being stored in these conditions.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I would wipe down the safe with a Clorox solution, that should kill the mold..
  • Floyd58523Floyd58523 Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you use any bleach solution you only need a 10% solution. I would go to a hardware store and pick up a non bleach antimicrobial product. I own a mold remediation company. The bleach may discolor the wood.
    Once cleaned then apply apply a permanent sealant, renaissance wax is one product highly recommended. Moisture and non movement of air will cause mold growth. Even with a antimicrobial product if dust builds up on the surface mold will grow on the dust if conditions are right.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    cer.....mold and mildew are caused by moisture getting into the safe. I live in a humid area by the ocean and have finally given up on my Liberty safe in my garage as it is too large/heavy to move inside the house and the garage is uninsulated so I have a constant problem. Have tried goldenrods, gel, the works and finally after losing several valuable guns to the problem (and my carelessness, I might add) I have given up and moved them all to my ac house. Good luck with your problem and I hope it works out better than mine! One thing I have not tried that a friend recommended (and uses) is a light bulb inside the safe....seems to work for him.
  • TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To kill and cleanup mold and mildew use vinegar , yes it smells but that dissipates readily .
    It is cheap, safe and effective.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can mix a solution that works well for marine use mildew killer. 1part bleach, 1 part vinegar 3 parts water.
    Wipe dry and use a low wattage bulb in base of your safe.
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TANK78Z
    To kill and cleanup mold and mildew use vinegar , yes it smells but that dissipates readily .
    It is cheap, safe and effective.

Becareful, vinegar will take bluing off too.