In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Weatherby question

Mark TMark T Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
A friend has a Weatherby .378 built on a Schultz & Larsen action. A letter from Weatherby says only about 160 of these were built on Schultz & Larsen actions during 1957 and 1958. Rifle is in excellent shape, bore is near perfect. Any ideas on value?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I would like to hear some other interpritations of the free bore design and what benifits it gives you or negitive effects it has. Is firing a Wby cartrige in a Wby rifle better than shooting it out of another brand of rifle chambered for the some cartrige with the same length barrel 26"?

thanx
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey guys, I'm not much of a weatherby guy, are the US made mk5 worth more/less/same as the Jap or German models. Were they made before/after the others. I think this one is less 15yrs old, but not sure. It is a beautiful gun and a family member is thinking of selling it. Want to give him a fair offer. I already checked out completed auctions, just curious as to the manufacture location.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Without having a 7 mm Weatherby cartridge, how can one tell if a Weatherby MK V Deluxe is 7 mm Rem or 7 mm Weatherby. On side of barrel, it only says 7 mm. I thought if gun was 7 mm Weatherby, the barrel would say something like "Use only 7 mm Weatherby ammo". A 7 mm Rem cartridge fits into gun nicely, but the owner (who has never fired the gun) says the guy he got it from complained about the cost of the 7 mm Weatherby ammo that it shot.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the 7 mm Rem ammo would be larger in circumference than a 7 mm Weatherby and thus should not fit into the gun. And, if this is true and the prior owner shot a 7 mm Weatherby cartridge thru the 7 mm Rem gun, could it have damaged the gun in any way?

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    As far as which is worth more by where it was made, it depends on the buyer. I personally prefer the Japanese made Weatherbys. They were made in Germany, then Japan, then US. It will say where it was made on it. The biggest thing with the value is condition, followed closely by finding the right buyer. High dollar rifles are hard to sell for top dollar from what I have seen. I usually get mine when people are tired of sitting on them, and lower the price quite a bit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, this is a USA made rifle so it appears to be the latest model. It is a Mk5 deluxe 300wea mag. It is a beautiful rifle. I have never been a weatherby fan, but I think the price will be right on this one and always wanted a 300 wea mag. They haven't sold well on the auctions latley, due to the price and economy I'm guessing. The local gun shop didn't want it on trade due to the inability to move it.