In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S & W Model 10-5

ewilliams112875ewilliams112875 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
I would like to verify the year of manufacture on a recently acquired .38 Special

Serial # - C632XXX

Thanks y'all

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I picked up the Model 10-2 Sunday at a gun show...heads up trade for a Taurus PT111 MILLENNIUM Pro 9mm (original box papers 2 clips 98%)

I went in with the Taurus 9mm to find a Taurus 85 .38SP for my wife as she did not like the auto, but did like my "cheap" Taurus carry gun...I am a S&W junkie and needless to say I jumped on this...It shoots great and looks pretty dang good next to my Model 15-2 and my 32-20 hand ejector 1902 2nd Model.

Was it a good deal or did I have my S&W blinders on....BTW the old lady's got a Taurus now :)

9d3dbddbed.jpg

7a46e38795.jpg
  • Options
    WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I like both the Taurus 82 and almost any SW revolver, so I approve of the trade; that's not a great 10-2, but not bad, either (assuming it's tight, etc.).

Someone who likes SA 9mm is going to write and tell you you're crazy. If you want to second-guess yourself....after having already made the trade....go to the Gunbroker auctions and compare.

EDIT I said I liked the Taurus revolvers; I have two, and both are accurate, reliable (after hundreds of shots) and appear to be well made. The heavy-barrel 82 especially, with trigger work, is smooth and accurate. I have no experience with Taurus S/A. If you're experiencing the same reliability, keep your Taurus revolvers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WinMike
    Well, I like both the Taurus 85 and any SW revolver, so I approve of the trade; that's not a great 10-2, but not bad, either (assuming it's tight, etc.).

Someone who likes SA 9mm is going to write and tell you you're crazy. If you want to second-guess yourself....after having already made the trade....go to the Gunbroker auctions and compare.

Aint that the way it always is...I did not like the 9mm...the .38 made for a better Saturday afternoon shooter...it was a good clean bore and the cylinder locked up tight...the bluing is worn and the right grip is a little rough....all in all I am pleased.
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Opinions are like noses......

Okay, here is my opinion:

You swapped a Taurus pistol, which I consider a low-end unreliable gun for an older, solid steel K-Frame Smith and Wesson .38Special revolver, made prior (I believe) to the time when S&W quality could be called into question.

It matters not to me WHAT the wizards may say regarding the dollar value of one versus the other. What matters is that you got rid of the Taurus and acquired a good, solid, reliable revolver. So, rather than I get started on my Taurus rant, let me just say congratulations. So, I believe you came out ahead.

Oh, by the way, my opinion also, is that you get your wife a reliable older S&W and get rid of the Taurus you have her carrying.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let say Smith model 10 in that shape is worth $200-250.

Checking the auction site, I see in the last 90 days, there have been multiple used Taurus PT 111s that have sold around $250 (give or take a bit).

Looks to me that even on a pure dollar-swap basis you did fine.

Plus, I agree with Wolf entirely. Even if the Taurus is nominally "worth" $50 more on the open market (and its probably NOT worth much more than that), trying to actually fetch that amount could be a hassle. Factor in potential shipping, taxes, dealer transfer, consignment or auction listing costs, your time locating a buyer, then your time locating a Smith you like, and you probably wouldn't have been ahead any selling the gun privately then buying the Smith.

Meanwhile, that particular Smith might not be much to look at, but it WAS made in back in the days of Smith and Wesson guns with hand-fitted all forged-steel parts, pinned screw-in barrel, recessed cylinders, and no lock. It should be a great shooter with a glass-smooth action. They don't make them "like that" anymore, and short of hand-tuned "performance center" guns, they're probably never going to again.

So long as you don't abuse it, the Smith will never depreciate, and it will last a lifetime. I'd also rather have that than the Taurus, and if I didn't already own all the .38/.357 revolvers I need, I'd do that swap too.