In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scope choice

DEEREHARTDEEREHART Member Posts: 373 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
Due to having "old eyes" I will be installing a scope on a recently aquired Ruger .44 Carbine. What do you guys & gals reccomend? Straight 4 power or a variable. It will be a quality scope not a Wal-Mart special.

Comments

• DEEREHARTDEEREHART Member Posts: 373 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am going to buy a scope for my .308. I want a fixed power scope. I have settled on 2 scopes...a Burris 10x50 with mil-dot reticle or an SWFA SS 10x42. Does anyone have any comments, good or bad about either scope? Thanks.
    edited November -1
    Need some opinions for scope choice to put on Remington 700 Classic in 257 Roberts. I'm thinking of a Weaver Grand Slam in 3.5-10, a Leupold Vari-X III in 3.5-10, a Leupold Vari-X II in 4-12, and a Burris Black Diamond in 3-12. Can't decide which one would compliment the rifle the most, yet be the most functional for everything from shooting milk jugs way out yonder to shooting coyotes from 50 yards in the timber to open corn and bean field shots to hunting deer, mostly in northern Minnesota or possibly Maine. Any thoughts, good or bad would be appreciated.
    edited November -1
    Leupold VX3 4.5-14 or Ziess Conquest 4.5-14? They are both about the same price and will be going on a 204 to surgicaly remove ground squirrels at 0 to 400 yards.[8D]
    edited November -1
    Trying to decide on a high end scope for my Rem. 700.

Been looking at a Zeiss Conquest 6.5 20x50 with the Rapid-z 1000 reticle, just wondering if anyone has any positive or negative experiences with it.

Maybe something as good or better for less than a grand?

Will be mostly used for distance target shoots.

Thanks for any and all feedback.
    edited November -1
    I have narrowed my scope choice for my Remington .308 down to 2 scopes in my price range. The scope will be used for tactical urban/light rural applications. I am looking at a Weaver Tactical 3-15x or a Burris XTR 3-12x. Has anyone had any bad experiences with either and recommend one over the other? Thanks.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doug,

Just my personal opinion, but it is tough to beat the Leupold. Addtionally, if you ever have problems with it, you can literally hand deliver it to them and they will fix or replace it for free.
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    If those are the only two choices I would go with the Ziess. Both of these scopes are assembled in America by Americans, the Leupold uses Japanise glass and Chinese parts while the Ziess is using Chech made glass and German parts. Both scopes will give you a lifetime warentee and have US repair facitlities, but the Leupold will back any of their gold ring series to the fullest extent. I just personally prefer the Ziess as it is crisper and cleaner to my eyes and after using the same scope for coyote hunting I can say that I had no eye strain at the end of the day. Being in the optics business I havbe become very tired of Leupold resting on their laurels and underdelivering on every promise while charging the same money as optics well outside of their capability.

Another choice would be the Vortex Viper series, I would consider the Vortex to be superior to the Leupold in every facet along with giving the Ziess a good run for it's money. Give them a good look, you'll be glad that you did.
  • chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leupold has second to none in resale value and plus the fact, in the future if you decide you want another reticle or change turrets. You can send it back and have that done for a fee. If your going with Inch tube I would do the zeiss. I like the side focus. If you were looking at the Leupold 30mm tube, I would pick the Leupold.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the price range you are talking about, and the size and distance of our targets, I would go with the Burris Signature series, in 6-24x. They are every bit as good or better than the Leupold, in all aspects, including warranty, if you should ever need it. However, if it is just between those two, it would be the Leupold. If it was the Ziess Victory series, then it would be Ziess.

Best
  • craig 25-06craig 25-06 Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I vote Leupold.
  • bearshooterbearshooter Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think tsr is on the right track, your gonna need more hp on your optics if you think your gonna shoot a ground squirrel or what we call sage rats at 400yds. I use a 6.5-24X on a 223 and keep the shots at under 300 yards it works, I think all 3 brands of scoped mentioned are great for your purpose.
  • 1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go for the Leupold if the "Conquest" is the only Zeiss option. Zeiss scopes (the upper end of the food chain) have a well deserved reputation for quality, but not unlike the Leupold "Rifleman" series, the Conquests just are NOT the same quality as the upper eschelon of their product line. I don't work in the optical field anymore, but have worked for Fuji, Nikon, Hassleblad and several others . Currently I work at a large rifle range in So. Wisconsin and base my opinions on the failed box tests and terrible adjustment consistancy I have seen on the Conquest series (I should add that the Rifleman series flunked just as badly) so if it comes to the choice between a VX III (NOT Rifleman...apples and oranges IMO) and a Zeiss Conquest, I would take the Leupold in a heartbeat. If the choice was between a VX III and a Zeiss Hensoldt 72mm, we would be talking a horse of a different color! As mentioned, the upper line of Zeiss is largely without equal!
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LEUPOLD!!!!!!!!!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Burris, then Leupold.
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Burris Signature series and would not trade it for a VX-III. Check out a Burris you may be as impressed as I was.
    Regards, MAALOX