In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

question?

oldnbaldoldnbald Member Posts: 3,578
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
Is it okay to put hoppes 9 lubricant (in the little orange bottle) on wood, Laminate and walnut, it says it cleans wood work, but would it hurt to put it on the wood, not too much, just enough?

Comments

• oldnbaldoldnbald Member Posts: 3,578
    edited November -1
    I have been around and used guns all my life, and I hate to seem like a total dummy, but I have never understood the difference in "striker fired" and "hammer fired" pistols. Could someone offer a simple explanation?
    edited November -1
    How the devil do you get to look up an auction number?
    edited November -1
    I'm just curious. I have an original model CZ75 and the date stamp over the ejector reads 86 so I'm assuming that this is the year it was made. The question that I have is this. I want to know if this pistol has any value and if so, What is the value because I'm thinking about purchasing a Sig?

P.S. but if the CZ75 is a better keep or has any value then I will keep it because I have had this gun for over 20 years and it's really a good gun and will purchase the Sig at a later time, thanks for your help.
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say, If no hammer shows it's striker fired.[:)]
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In a hammer-fired pistol the firing-pin spring is located in front of the firing-pin and holds the firing-pin to the rear. When the hammer strikes the firing-pin the firing-pin is driven forward into the primer and then rebounds to the rear.

A striker is similar to a firing-pin with the exception of the spring being located in back of the striker and forcing it to the front. When the pistol is cocked the sear holds the striker in a rearward position. When the pistol is fired the sear releases the striker, which flies forward under the impetus of its spring and strikes the primer.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ATF
    I'd say, If no hammer shows it's striker fired.[:)]

That is not 100% correct. There are handguns out there today that haveinternal, enclosed hammers...and yes, semi auto's.

Savage170 has a good definition for you, of striker, and hammer fired.

Best

EDIT 1

Two modern examples are...The Glock is striker fired, as it has no hammer. The S&W Bodygaurd 380 is hammer fired, though the hammer is nearly 100% concealed to the naked eye.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Savage 170 Very good easy to understand answer most Rifles like bolt action Remington 700 Winchester 70 and Mauser 98 are striker fired while Malin 336 and Winchester 94 are hammer fired . The reason I used rifles in my example is easier to see how each works. Some small pistols are very confusing if you look from the outside Example Savage Pocket pistols model 1907 looks like it has a hammer but really what you see is the back of the striker and S&W revolvers have hammers but some are hidden from view and at looking at them don't look like they have a hammer.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Spring holding the firing pin either backwards, or forwards clinched it for me. Joe
    edited November -1
    Ok. I see now. Thanks for the info.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of this is semantic, and someone else can correct me if I'm wrong here, but my understanding is that the main difference between the two is that a hammer swings in an arc, and a striker goes back and forth in a straight line.

That's it.

Hammers usually are external, but may be internal. For example, the "hammerless" double-action only Smith revolvers actually have internal hammers.

Strikers are usually internal, though there are gun designs where the rear of the striker protrudes through the frame, either to act as a cocking indicator (eg the Walther 99 pistol), or even to be grabbed manually to cock the gun.

The bit about where the firing pin spring is located may also be true, but I see this as secondary.

Some guns with hammers (eg older smith and wesson revolvers) don't even have separate firing pins; the firing pin is a protrusion on the face of the hammer. Some guns (striker OR hammer) have "floating" firing pins that lack their own spring.
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another simple way of explaining it: for semi autos, there is a separate floating firing pin that comes forward to strike the primer. On a hammer fired gun, a spring powers a hammer which, in turn, strikes the firing pin and drives it forward. In a striker fired gun, there is no hammer and a spring directly powers the firing pin(striker) forward. [:D]
  • GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mauser 98 is striker fired, winchester mod. 94 is hammer fired.