In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thoughts on Hi-Point 9mm

Stringfellow HawkeStringfellow Hawke Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
Saw a Hi-Point 9mm recently. Its cheap, but a few people I know have said as long as you don't limp wrist they are great for the price.

Any thoughts from those who have used them?

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    They do generally work and are probably my pick for 'best of the junk heap' of low end guns. However, if I were looking for a semi auto in that price range I'd go with a surplus CZ-82 or CZ-52, or Makarov. Or a used Smith or Ruger wheelgun.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    They do generally work and are probably my pick for 'best of the junk heap' of low end guns. However, if I were looking for a semi auto in that price range I'd go with a surplus CZ-82 or CZ-52, or Makarov. Or a used Smith or Ruger wheelgun.

+1.

This topic comes up again and again, and if you want some other opinions just use the search function for "hi point".

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=203865
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=290570
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=329307
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=340593

In my opinion, they're probably the "best of the worst" in terms of current production low-end American guns. They'll likely function (at least for a while), but the overall gun balance is poor, and I wouldn't expect too much in the way of accuracy or durability.

The reason they are so inexpensive, plus weirdly balanced (to put it politely) is that they are made largely of plastic and zinc alloy, and because they use a simplified submachine-gun like blowback action.

Again, as I say every time this topic comes up, for really not much more money than a new Hi-point, you can buy any number of used police trade in or military surplus type guns that are highly reliable, made of high-quality steels, durable, and dependable. Used guns like this will retain their resale value, where as Hi-Points generally have little resale value (ie under $100). Here are some examples:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=486664

Good review and picture here:

http://thoughtsonguns.blogspot.com/2010/06/hi-point-c9.html

hi+point+C9+3.jpg
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Mostly Plastic?? Isn't a Glock "mostly" plastic??

Very little "plastic" on the Hi-point. (from a maker of plastic parts, so it just hit a nerve)
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Hi-Point is, simply put, a cheap (in the worst sense of the word) gun. The Hi-Point guns is not reliable for sport and absolutely NOT for self defense.

The design of some of the gun's less critical parts (but, all parts contribute to a weapon's proper functionality) are not consistent from gun to gun because changes were made and not reflected in model numbers. Much of the gun is made from pot metal, a non-consistent alloy of zinc and other soft metals. While the gun will shoot, it is simply not worth having to deal with its failures.

You may wish to consider the Russian Makarov pistol if cost is a large factor. The Makarov and its Eastern Bloc variations is one of the most reliable inexpensive (not "cheap"), guns you can buy. Heck, it is reliable by any standard! Originally designed as the Russian and Eastern Bloc military sidearm, the gun borrows heavily from German design, but is very unique in its internal design. The Mak (with minor exceptions) fires the 9x18mm Russian Makarov cartridge, very similar, but not interchangeable with, the .380acp cartridge. Do not let anyone tell you the cartridges are interchangeable; they are not. The Makarovs are almost always reliable from the factory if someone has not messed with them...very reliable. The fit and finish may be a bit rough, but they are solid steel, reliable workhorses. DO NOT buy a Makarov or any other gun that has been "tuned" or "slicked up" by a gunsmith. You will be buying someone else's problem.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by geeguy
    Mostly Plastic?? Isn't a Glock "mostly" plastic??

Very little "plastic" on the Hi-point. (from a maker of plastic parts, so it just hit a nerve)

I said "largely plastic and zinc alloy", not "mostly plastic". I haven't actually measured it, but I think if you were to weight the components of the gun, plastic and zinc alloy together would comprise the largest fraction of its mass.

In any case, the issue isn't the use of plastic per se, though IIRC the Hi-Point does use a plastic trigger, and IMO that's a critical component that's probably better made from steel.

The issue is that Hi points make extensive use of zinc-alloy which is, bluntly, a soft metal selected because its cheap to cast into parts.

While Glock frames are mostly plastic, Glocks contain NO parts made of zinc-alloy whatever. Meanwhile, Glock slides are made of hardened carbo-nitrided steel, the surface of which is nearly as hard as a diamond.

Guess what would happen if you smacked a Glock slide into a Hi-point slide repeatedly? My money says that the Hi-Point gets destroyed and you wouldn't even see a single mark on the Glock.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like has been said the HiPoint question comes up alot.

It all depends on what you plan on doing with it. Just as a gun to shoot and plink around with go for it. I have one, gets tossed in the tackle box and I dont freak out if a worm crawls on it.

My gun is heavy, ugly, and bulky to a point of making folks say what the hell. [:)] It fires anything I stick in it. Would I carry it for defense NO WAY. Many other guns are far better suited for that.

To sum it up the gun is a fun shooter and for me thats all it will ever be.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you think your life might depend on it, stay away from the Hi-Point.

Another thing to take into consideration is trade in value. You will most likely shell out $200.00 or a bit more for the Hi-Point, and when you have had enough of it's inherent failures, you will trade it in, or toss it in a drawer with like gadgets. If you do trade it, you will be offered less than $100.00 for it. So, in reality, it is going to cost you $100.00 or more to own it, just to say you did.

Best
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stringfellow would carry a bren ten or a nice 1911!
    hi-point is crap, and too bulky inside a small mach 1 + mulitrole combat helicopter
  • Options
    Stringfellow HawkeStringfellow Hawke Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input gang. Love the discussion.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    My thoughts are that they make very good boat anchors [}:)]