In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 92 .32-20 WCF

sawcatsawcat Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited January 2007 in Ask the Experts
Hello, A friend of mine asked me to help him determine the value of his grandfathers old rifle. He claims he shot it once and put it away, Yeah Right, anyway I must say this thing looks almost new The blueing is almost in perfect condition. The stock is gorgeous with a couple of minor marks that I have to look hard to find. The only problem on the gun is right behind the band that connects the Magazine to the barrel there is a small amount of minor surface rust that almost diasppears with a little oil on a rag. The bore was like new to my eye, the Serial number is 905939. The barrel is marked "Manufactured by the Winchester Repeating Arms Co New Haven, Conn. USA Patents October 14, 1884 32W.C.F." and right below the hammer it says "Model 92 Winchester Trade Mark Reg US Patent Office" All of this lettering is crisp and clean like it was stamped yesterday. It has a 24" barrel, the front site is held on by one screw on the side of the foot and on the other I believe it say's "Pat Nov 4 92" my eyes are not what they once were.
The rear site is a standard ramped site. Looking down the site picture I realize that this thing points like a dream and it looks better than new because it has a great patina that only an old gun can have.

Well now that I'm done drooling on this can anyone give me an idea as to it's rarity and or approx. value? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Blue Book is really old, so I don't want to speculate on value. Without having a picture to go by, condition percentage is hard to predict.

Based on the serial number, it was made in 1919.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The actual DOM is most likely circa 1922/23, and it appears to be a standard Sporting Rifle with factory original sights. It is not at all rare. Winchester manufactured over 1 million Model 1892/92 during the nearly 50-year production run.

The value will be greatly affected by the factory originality (is the finish factory original, or an old reblue). The only way for me to determine that, is to have you post (or send me) several very clear pictures of various parts on rifle.
  • Options
    turtles11756turtles11756 Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not only points like a dream it shoots the same way
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think if it is original-it would be worth a bunch.

Old worn out ones are bringing almost a grand. Keep it. Don't sell if original-it WILL continue to go up in value.

If you must sell, get a professional appraisal from someone who is not trying to buy it.
  • Options
    sawcatsawcat Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies! I guess there is no way to post pictures here, I was going to post some but do not see where I can. I believe it to be all original not that I'm an expert but I have owned guns all of my life and this one is very old in my opinion. The blueing and the wood are in beautiful condition but obviously have been around for a long time.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sawcat
    Thanks for the replies! I guess there is no way to post pictures here, I was going to post some but do not see where I can. I believe it to be all original not that I'm an expert but I have owned guns all of my life and this one is very old in my opinion. The blueing and the wood are in beautiful condition but obviously have been around for a long time.

Not true... please read the instructions at this link - http://forums.gunbroker.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=7

If it is easier, you can send pictures to me at Win1885@msn.com
  • Options
    biditata2biditata2 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have the same rifle in the .32 W.C.F. When I bought it from a gun dealer, I told him I was looking for a .32-20 rifle to shoot the same cartridge as my Colt Police Positive Special in .32-20 and he said it was the same cartridge.

Others have told me it is not. What is the difference between the .32-20 and the .32 W.C.F.? Can I shoot the .32-20 in this rifle?

Thanks.
  • Options
    WWllVetWWllVet Member Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, the .32-20 and the .32 WCF are one and the same, just different designation.

for GOD and COUNTRY

Vet
  • Options
    Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one made in 1909 up on this site now currently at $605 with 2 days to go at maybe 85%. Take a look and compare conditions.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bill Jordan
    I have one made in 1909 up on this site now currently at $605 with 2 days to go at maybe 85%. Take a look and compare conditions.

You should post the link, Bill - here it is http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=64669044