In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Worthwhile to Fix S&W Model 13?

LBussyLBussy Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited December 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a S&W Model 13, about 90% or better blue (except for the backstrap where it's about 50%). The trigger is like buttah, but the cylinder is a little slow and the headspace is a bit excessive. My local smith tells me ~$150 to fix her up (remove barrel, cut mating face, fit cone to cylinder, longer hand).

I'm not real up on the value of this gun, is it worth it to have this tuned up?

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    There are shims to put on the ejector rod to fix the end shake of the cylinder. Those plus a new fitted hand should be all you need.
    The gun as is will probably be worth $200-250 or so.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay I'll go have a talk with the guy and see what he's got to say. There were three things in/around the cylinder so maybe that's why he was going to screw the barrel in ... I'll try to get more info.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IMHO the price to do the work is within reason the Headspace is the major out lay of $$ and is not dangerous just more gas escaping between cylinder and rear of barrel The timing is important and I would spend the money to have that fixed. To fix headspace one has to remove barrel and turn shoulder back EXACTLY one turn to have the front sight line exactly back up. This takes time and special tools and SKILL.
  • Options
    azpowerwagonazpowerwagon Member Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LBussy
    Okay I'll go have a talk with the guy and see what he's got to say. There were three things in/around the cylinder so maybe that's why he was going to screw the barrel in ... I'll try to get more info.

You are right about the barrel needing to be set back. If shims are used to correct end shake that helps the headspace but increases the barrel/cylinder gap, hence the need to set the barrel back, cut the forcing cone and set the new barrel/cylinder gap. Along with a new cyl hand you may also need a new cylinder stop fitted as well.
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd call S&W and then send it to them for an estimate and repair. When it comes back you'll have a great handgun.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LBussy
    I have a S&W Model 13, about 90% or better blue (except for the backstrap where it's about 50%). The trigger is like buttah, but the cylinder is a little slow and the headspace is a bit excessive. My local smith tells me ~$150 to fix her up (remove barrel, cut mating face, fit cone to cylinder, longer hand).

I'm not real up on the value of this gun, is it worth it to have this tuned up?

When you say "headspace" do you mean the barrel/cylinder gap?

The model 13 is not a super expensive gun, but it is a pretty nice one to shoot!

$150 to get it into tip-top shape is a fair price in my opinion, so long as the gunsmith does a good job. Whether or not its worth it depends on you. If you like the gun, or it has sentimental value to you, that's reasonable. I'd pay it in a second if it were my grandad's gun or something like that.

Assuming its just another junker you've run across, personally, I'd rather sell the gun (which should still fetch you maybe $200-250 or so), take the $150 you would have spent to repair it, pool them, and buy a nice used model 19.

Now you've got your model 13, only with easier-to-see and adjustable sights.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TWalker
    I'd call S&W and then send it to them for an estimate and repair. When it comes back you'll have a great handgun.
    Is that really an option for a guy without an FFL? Shipping both ways + I'm sure the smith would want something ...
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    You ought to try 'T Walkers' advice....If its repaired By S & W, You get a Guarantee....Choice is yours...!
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lbussy, An unlicensed individual can ship the revolver back to S & W for repair and S & W can ship back directly to you. Postal regulations don't allow an unlicensed individual to mail a pistol. Licensed dealers can ship by USPS which is much cheaper than what FedEx or UPS would charge an unlicensed individual. $10 to $15 versus $40 to $50 for UPS. I suggest you contact to S & W and discuss returning the pistol for repair.