In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help with H.Dumoulin Rifle

6x6 elk6x6 elk Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited January 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have recently bought a H.Dumoulin Full Mannlicher stock in 338 cal. I am having a hard time finding out what this rifle is worth. The Blue Book does not give any values on the H.Doumoulin with the full stocks. The gun is in 70% plus condition, has a jeweled bolt and magazine carrier,says made in Begium, and Liege.The balance and the craftsmanship seems great, I am relly happy the way it fits me. The action seems to be a FN Mauser. What size Weaver Bases does this rifle take? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. Elk,

First let me say Welcome to the GB forums!

In the top right corner of this page, click on the 'search'

enter 'H. Dumoulin' There have been several previous threads on this topic & you will probably find as much info. there as there is written in any one place.

Your gun is built on a commercial FN '98 Mauser action. Any Mauser large ring bases should fit.

Jim
  • 6x6 elk6x6 elk Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply. I already cheacked the search, it did not help on finding a value of the gun, unless I missed something?
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I have recently bought

You don't think you paid fair value for it?
  • cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6x6 elk,

I have two of the H. Dumoulin rifles;
    1) 7MM Mag with above average grade Monte Carlo style stock that has rose wood end & grip caps, about 90% condition.
    2) 338 Winch. (that's the way it is marked) with Mannlicher style walnut stock that has ivory inlays on both sides of the fore arm plus an ivory grip cap, about 75% condition.

These guns were made to order as the customer wanted them so every gun is different in grade of wood & features. With one-of-a-kind as such there is not enough of a sales history to set a fair retail value as there would be with say Winchester or Remington. There aren't that many & they don't turn up that often.

You say "70%" condition which puts it in the "nice shooter" class & my best GUESS would be in the neighborhood of $500.

Jim
  • joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The answer about special orders you received is correct. They are fairly often seen in SW Wisconsin where I live because in the early 60's through the mid 70s the importer's were from here. A good friend of mine who was a great trap shooter had Bob Sanderson order a single trigger, very tight full choke .410 SXS with 30" barrels that he used to wow other trap shooters. I still have a .257R rifle that I ordered from Bob's successor who lived 10 miles from me.
    edited November -1
    Hawk Carse asked if I paid fair value for the gun, that is what I am trying to find out. From what I have found in my research, and calling the present importer of Dumoulin Firearms, I am finding a big range of differance in possible value, anywhere from $500 to $4000, and that is at 70% condition. Thanks for the responses.
    edited November -1
    Hawk Carse asked if I paid fair value for the gun, that is what I am trying to find out. From what I have found in my research, and calling the present importer of Dumoulin Firearms, I am finding a big range of differance in possible value, anywhere from $500 to $4000, and that is at 70% condition. What kind of accuracy are you guys seeing with these rifles? Thanks for the responses.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6x6 elk,

Let me add my Welcome to the Gunbroker Forums! Happy New Year!

Value and value assessments are often a mixture of fact and opinion with much of the opinion based on visual information. It is nearly impossible to even begin to try to assess your request without seeing what your rifle looks like with your description. That's why we often ask to see photographs of the firearms in question. We may recognize it as something we know a little about which we can pass along but the biggest thing is that we can actually see the condition and quality of the rifle.

There is a 'Sticky' at the top of this forum which has some instructions about posting photographs. If you need more information, e-mail me and I'll try to lend a hand.

Here is one of the semi-custom stutzen rifles from the Dumoulin website:

stutzendumoulinmousquet.jpg

Dumoulin does use the improved Mauser M98 style actions for their rifles as created in Belgium after WWII. They have various rifle grades aimed at both the individual consumer as well as the more discriminating collectors of higher grades. The company has always produced fine examples of the gunmakers trade but their value hasn't always been recognized. Please take a minute to go through their website to familiar yourself with their work and the range of values.

http://www.dumoulin-herstal.com/

Hopefully you can post some sharp, properly lit photographs that will help us lend a hand with your search for information.

Best.