In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

? Colt Det. Special D-Frame Sq. Butt

Munson1Munson1 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited January 2010 in Ask the Experts
Hi
Looking to purchase oversized grips. Every online dealer wants to know grip frame short or long. How could I tell?
Bought gun used & have no idea when made.

Thanks Guys & Gals!!!!!
Ken

Comments

• Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the gun still has its original stocks on it, look at the bottom of the butt. If you see the metal butt frame between the stock panels, the gun is a Pre-1966 model with the full frame. If you see only wood and not the metal frame, the gun is a Post-1965 model with the abbreviated butt frame. Removing the stock panels on a Post-1965 model will reveal a stubby, crudely finished frame that will have sharp square corners at the bottom of the butt. The stocks themselves will have a "step" filler at their bottom to complete the desired length of the butt. A Pre-1966 metal butt frame will be the same profile as the original stocks and will have rounded corners.

All of this assumes you do not have a Pre-1934 gun with the long square butt frame.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank You so much!!!!!!!!

Happy New Year!!!!!!
    Ken
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are welcome. So what model is your gun?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Judge
    Its the Post 65 Model with the small grip frame. Trying to locate some grip panels for it that would fill my hand a little better. Those stock grips are pretty small. I'll most likely go with Pachmeyer or Hogues. Love wood but pricey.

Ken