In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7,62 X 25 AMMO for CZ52

MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
edited January 2010 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased a CZ52 and am wondering what kind of ammo is best suited for this pistol. I have heard that because of the firearm being designed so well, I could probably put any ammo available through it. I have heard that most of the surplus ammo was actually designed for full-auto weapons and may be too hot for this pistol.

My thoughts were to buy a 1260 round tin of Polish ammo from the auction side because it's so cheap but wanted to see what the "general opinions" were before I did.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Aaron

Comments

• Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Mooned...my CZ52's have digested everything I have put through them over the last several years without a hiccup. Even the "hot" Czech stuff (1600fps or so) but the steady diet is the cheaper (and slower) Chinese ammo which, although rather dirty, has done fine. I don't think you will have a problem with anything you shoot through it, IMHO.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply Gary.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you Google search 7.62x25 or Tokarev, you will find an article identifying one headstamp on overloaded ammo that has kaboomed at least one CZ52.
    It was a batch of Bulgarian ammo with the headstamp: star over 3 10 52.
    A while back I chronographed 8 shot average velocities from a Tokarev in 7.62x25.
    Steel case Russian was 1504fps, Polish 1466fps and '80s Romanian 1471fps.
  • Options
    modtodd82modtodd82 Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While i have not run alot of ammo through my cz52 yet(bought after the election[V])I have been very happy with the 1986 Yugo ammo that i bought, seems not to be too dirty, quite accurate. The biggest drawback is that you dont want to be standing on the ejection side of the gun within 20 ft..........or your likely to get a hot piece of brass upside the head[:D]......man that thing really flings the spent cartdrige!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks all for the replies....
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The tins of Polish ammo is a very good buy and suitable for either the TT-30/31 or the CZ52. We've sold a "ton" of it and had no complaints.
    I happened to purchase some of that Bulgarian sub-gun ammo at a gun show about 10 years ago. At the range I was startled by the flash, muzzle blast and velocity of the slide - only fire three rounds and quit - then did some research. NOT GOOD for any pistol. The stuff was packed in tan paper and sealed with a PINK pasted on label.
  • Options
    GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D]my 52 eats any kind of 7.62x25[:D]