In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Carbine front sight help, and Happy (Edit for p

IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
edited January 2010 in Ask the Experts
Okay could only get two to go through hope they show enough for yall
Dan_030.JPG
Dan_028.JPG

See the dark patterns this is what appears to be some sort of soder or braze, It is raised on the barrell and receased on the sight so it is obvious some sort of bond was there that has come loose, Why I dont know. It will all snap back together and stay, but flys off when ya shoot it.

I have a Natl ord inc, 30 carbine, Basically a gun built with surplus military parts. Nothing fancy.

My question being how is the front sight attached to the barrel.
Mine fell off, It looks as though it was sodered or brazed but when I heated it with my sodering gun it did not melt......... Dont want to hurt the blue, but want the sight fixed, so how were they attached, and what is the easiest way to fix, Aside from taking it to a gunsmith if possible[:I] Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    There should be a slot for a key to align the sight. The key has a slot for the pin to hold the sight on.
    All you should need is the sight, key and pin.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    There should be a slot for a key to align the sight. The key has a slot for the pin to hold the sight on.
    All you should need is the sight, key and pin.

Have all three but the sight will not stay on, It looks as though it has been brazed or sodered In addition to the 2 pins possibbly because it would not stay on[?] Im not sure If I can just heat up the barrel and redue it without screwing something up or not
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd advise against using heat unless someone with a lot of experience in similar situations can do the work.
    If you have all the parts you could always try a little liquid steel to take care of the wobble. Never heard it recommended, but I've hunted the last dozen b.p. deer seasons with the front sight of my T/C held on with this stuff alone; no dovetails, pins, etc., just a flat bottomed front sight glued to the top flat of the barrel.
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once you have the sight in place and the pin in the sight stake the pin on both side so it will not come out. Tap the sight forward in the grove until it stops and stake the rear of the key into the barrel on both sides. The only way a front sight will fall off of a standard M1 carbine is if the pin is gone out of the sight. If it is not a standard sight you need to post pictures of the sight and barrel can't shoot into the dark. There was also a post war barrel cut for the carbine barrel that is completely different from the standard cut with out pictures no progress.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks fellas been trying to get pics uploaded for an hour now somthing is wrong with hunt 101's site. Ill keep working on it and if I have to start a new topic I will.

ATF, Emmett said it.... this is a Natl Ord Inc gun, NOT UNIVERSAL, which to my knowledge is made up of Surplus GI parts, Minus the reciever.

Ive got two uploaded and If I can get back through to Hunt 101 Ill load them, Thanks for all the help
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    From the two you have, I can see it looks like someone cut the sight and mabe soldered it on. A carbine sight goes around the barrel. The key groove in your barrel looks OK. Get a proper sight, like in auction #151829437 or 152365561 and key for it.
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a picture of the front sight that goes on your rifle just scroll down a little and you will see it. It does look like someone tired to hack a sight on the front of your rifle and a GI or the original will not fit on the barrel. It looks like you have two choices one replace the barrel and put a standard sight on it or two find a Universal sight I pointed out that has a locking screw install it over the flat that has been cut in the barrel and lock it in place. The only question I have about the Universal sight is it the same inside diameter as the OD of your barrel.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_NATORD2.HTML

Emmett
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone hacked the bottom off the front sight,ruining it.
    Scrape that garbage off the barrel and out of the key slot then buy yourself a front sight, key and pin.
    There is a Carbine front sight installation tool to drive the sight on. It's a little difficult to drive one on evenly without the tool since it's a press fit.
    You can use grease on the parts to ease assembly. A brass punch wont bugger up the sight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys, [:)]