In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Van's Gun Blue

Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2010 in Ask the Experts
Anyone ever use this. Just need to touch up a SMLE that some yahoo took some steel wool to. Fairly small area like 1/2 by 3 inches. Just want to make it look better.

Comments

• Options
    rcoanercoane Member Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not used van but I do use and recommend Wounder Blue. It works good just fallow the instructions. It does not work on alum'. You also dont have to strip the gun. Have seen it for sale on GB and amazon. about $16 for the kit.
  • Options
    gumbydamnitgumbydamnit Member Posts: 793 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use it and works well for me, just make sure it is totally clean and you degrease it very well......
  • Options
    max2005max2005 Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used the Blue Wonder also; GREAT stuff! But, as already stated, make sure you follow the directions exactly and make sure the spot is completely degreased!

Have fun!
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Gumby, just remember that it doesn't last if your going to use the gun.
  • Options
    Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks - it was a toss up between blue wonder and vans. Sounds like they both work so some degree.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep a bottle of Van's for touchups. Use a new toothbrush (5 for a buck in the dollar store) to apply it. Toothbrush has no grease of any kind on it. If you apply with steel wool, the chemical starts trying to blue the steel wool. How well it works depends on the steel- they ALL work better on warm degreased steel. Van's did a beautiful job on the last inch of a K-31 barrel that had zero blue left- looks like new.
  • Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OxphoBlue from Brownell's is great, you can even apply it to an oily surface. The cram formula is my favorite!!!
  • Options
    511pe511pe Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm very fond of Gunslick Brand Gun Blue seems to penetrate well, But I never fallow the directions got a trade mark method (secret). You'll love it though.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 511pe
    I'm very fond of Gunslick Brand Gun Blue seems to penetrate well, But I never fallow the directions got a trade mark method (secret). You'll love it though.How is it that we will love your trademark method if you choose not to share it? [:o)]...I bet you have a great chocolate chip cookie recipe too?
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also recommend Blue Wonder.