In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1885 Winchester - Marbles sight?

Maggie DrawersMaggie Drawers Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1885 Winchester. I want to put a tang sight on it but want something appropriate to the period. I've looked at the Lyman #2 (new made) and also the Marbles. Marbles is windage adjustable which is a nice feature. Would that be proper to use on a 1889 rifle? Any source for original sights? Any sort of new sight will stand out like a sore thumb being brightly blued while the rifle is worn, battered and "brown." Any ideas or suggestions will be most welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, it is me again (but you probably knew I would answer this)...

On a 1889 vintage Model 1885, there are several choices for tang sights... and unfortunately a Marbles is not one of them.

All of the "correct" period original sights are going to be somewhat expensive. The most common was the Lyman No. 1 Second variation, or the No. 2 (I have several of these). To be correct, they must have an "S" application code stamped on the bottom side of the base (for all calibers except 22 rimfire or 30 U.S. which require an "SB" application code).

Also quite common was the Winchester Mid-range vernier, or the Long-range graduated peep... both of which will run $500+ for an original (but are much better sights), and really require that you have a Winchester windgauge adjustable globe front sight. The pair of sights can easily run $750 (or more).

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    Maggie DrawersMaggie Drawers Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Bert
    I was hoping you'd reply to my problem. I've been looking at the sights in John Campbell's book. Your information is exactly what I needed to know. Unfortunately, I can't justify putting that sort of money into the sight. I have only $750 in the rifle. I guess my best bet would be the new made Lyman #2. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not a museum....I'm a shooter. Thanks very much for your expertise.
    I got my factory letter today from Cody. This rifle started life as a ".32 S" - I assume that's a .32 Short. Relined now to 38-55. Shoots great; lots of fun.
    Thanks again.
    Hugh
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Maggie Drawers
    Hi Bert
    I was hoping you'd reply to my problem. I've been looking at the sights in John Campbell's book. Your information is exactly what I needed to know. Unfortunately, I can't justify putting that sort of money into the sight. I have only $750 in the rifle. I guess my best bet would be the new made Lyman #2. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not a museum....I'm a shooter. Thanks very much for your expertise.
    I got my factory letter today from Cody. This rifle started life as a ".32 S" - I assume that's a .32 Short. Relined now to 38-55. Shoots great; lots of fun.
    Thanks again.
    Hugh

Please send me an email with the data on that Cody letter. Did I send you a copy of one of my Survey forms?

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!