In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is My Barrel Shot Out?

HoosierBoyHoosierBoy Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington BDL .06 that will not shoot better than 3" groups. (that is on a good day) The shots are high, low, left, right and on occasion I am getting "flyers" that are barely on the paper. I've checked scopes, fittings, different ammo, had other people shoot it all with the same results.

It's never been a tack driver, but this is boarder line at best.

The gun is clean as a whistle -- inside and out so I do not believe fouling is an issue.

Other than having it "re-bedded" if that is the correct term, how do I tell if the barrel is simply done for?

Thanks in advance!

PS I am prepared for inevitable comment that it might be the shooter that is shot out and not the barrell! [:D]

Comments

• Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Talk to a gunsmith. He might be able to tell you there's something else than just a worn out barrel.
  • Options
    drewtodrewto Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello:
    Takes a lot of rounds to burn out an 06. If your a reloader, you might want to try seating the bullet out to its maximum length, and see if that improves accuracy. If your groups tighten, then you probably have some throat erosion, although I would think that you should be able to see some visible sign. You other option is to try chemical cleaning. I've had some barrels, that I thought were clean that I ran through the chemical/electronic process, and removed a lot of fouling.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HoosierBoy,

You state that you have checked your scope. In what ways? Just the screws for tightness? Or have you taken that scope off and replaced it with another scope of known consistancy?

Usually, the 'spraying' or the inability to repeat shots is an indicator that there is something loose or broken inside the scope. It's not unusual to see shots scattered all over the paper when something mechanical in a scope goes south on you.

Switch scopes, make sure everthing is tight and centered, then shoot some more targets and compare. While you have the scope off, check to be sure that the mounts are tight also.

Just one thought...

Best.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    order some "wipeout" foam and let it sit in the bore for 24hrs. Then repeat.

What type of bore cleaner are you using? any brushes?

How many times do you think the rifle has been fired?

Have you checked to see if there is a contact point between the barrel and the stock? Do the groups get worse as the rifle heats up? Take a dollar bill,..wrap it under the barrel and grab it on either side of the barrel,..then run it under the barrel and try to get it to touch the action. If it binds up between the end of the stock and the action,..there is a contact point that needs to be releived.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    HoosierBoyHoosierBoy Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The scope issue is a good point. I have not changed scopes, but that is an great suggestion. It's a fairly new scope, (Leupold) but I guess its possible that the scope is defective.

In fact, the shots do tend to scatter more when the barrel heats up. Usually around 10 shots. What is the issue there?

Thanks! All great suggestions
  • Options
    Texas HunterTexas Hunter Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Err...Very possible.
    My friend i hunt with thought his Rem 721 was shot out but it turned out to be his very expensive,brand new Leupold scope.
    Things dont always go as planned when people and production mix.

mike
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Has it ever been dropped on its' muzzle? Check the very frontmost part of your barrel at the crown for any dings, dents or weirdness.
    Following that, loosen the front stock screw about 1/2 a turn, then tighten it slowly ('bout a 1/8 turn) after each shot of a 5-shot string. Do your groups rise with the tightening? Could be a small pressure spot on your stock, or loose stock screws.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.<br>WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HB,

quote:In fact, the shots do tend to scatter more when the barrel heats up. Usually around 10 shots. What is the issue there?
    When you fire a shot down your barrel, it creates a vibration in the form of a wave pattern, similar to what you might see on an oscilloscope. As a barrel heats up, it moves. If it moves enough to make contact with the stock the wave changes and the bullet goes to another spot. That's part of the reason behind relieving any contact between the stock and your barrel, free floating. However, on occasion, a pressure point at the front of the forearm can increase accuracy, not always, just occasionally.

Good point about the action screws needing to be checked.

What a lot of this will get you is, your rifle may need to be bedded correctly, the barrel may need to be free floated or a pressure point added. You might need a different scope. Check all screws and the crown at the muzzle. Any more?

Best.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im betting on a scope problem. Seen this many times and 9 out of 10 its the scope.

God gave us all a gift. Have you found yours yet ?
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    does the gun have iron sights? take off the scope and fire it iron sights. bag it and fire. see what happens. if it shoots great, its the scope and mount area in need of help.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.