In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ammo

N2shatoN2shato Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know where to find 9.3x57 ammo?
Not having any luck

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    There seems to be better and much more powerfull ammo today, whe shooting from pistols I notice that almost every brand seems to have a different color when fired? I tried about five different types of 22 mag in my revolver and some were blue-white others were an orange was it the short barrell or what? even some of the same brands were of a different color? as in the Winchester, the Dynapoint and Super X seemed completely different, then in the 38 the Silvertip ammo was a blue white color? on some ballastic tests through some wet phone books there was a big difference in results?????????? Billy
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone familiar with StoneHart ammo?
    Good, Bad, or ?
    Thank You
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently found an old box of ammo and would like some information on it if possible the box is a wax box and has a date of Dec, 18,1880 and opens with a pull string on the box says 12 revolver ball cartridges Caliber 45 Frankford Arsenal, 1880 also on the box is Intial Velocity 784 fal. the box is in very good condition and am looking for some idea the value, thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can someone tell me what the correct name is of the 12 gauge ammo used by farmers to scare geese off of their fields? I thought the name was Crack R Shot but I can't find that anywhere. And where I can purchase it..
    Thank you
    Harold
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [?]
    I have some 9mm Eagle (I.M.I.) Black tip, FMJ, carbine only, Match Grade ammo. What is this stuff? I do not have a 9mm carbine. What should it be listed as or for?
    NRA
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what is "white box" ammo?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is the difference between a 7.62x39 bullet and a 7.62x54 bullet? Sorry, it's just been bugging me, also, what are the good and bad points about the different types of ammo, such as FMJ and Soft-Point, Hollow Point, Copper Tipped and stuff. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have ammo stored in old military cans.

If I move it into a room where temperature may reach below 32, am I causing a problem?

This will be winter only and maybe 15 to 20 days max.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    can anybody tell me how much 2crates which contain 2 ammo cans marked ball cal..30m2 st. louis ordnance plantlot sl 9749 thank you
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What country makes the best Nato spec ammo?

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have some old .22 and shotgun ammo in original boxes I am thinking of selling. Does this have to be done thru licensed agents? Can I advertise it and sell to the public at large ( 18 yrs. and older of course )?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can you please tell me if .32 NAA JHP will work in my .32 ACP pistols Thanking you in Advance
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought a 30-30 marlin and love shooting it. Does anyone know where I can get som CHEAP ammo...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey guys is this ammo any good for the range
    http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=122153797
    I just bought a Egyptian Helwin Brigadier Pistol 9mm Beretta 951
    I here ball ammo is prefered or not?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    can you use the new 17h2m in a stock 10-22
  • Options
    edited November -1
    LOOKING FOR SOME AMMO FOR A 6.5 IHMSA DONT NOW ANYTHING ABOUT
    MAKING AMMO WOULD LIKE TO BUY SOME READY TO SHOOT. THIS IS FOR A REMINGTON XP 100. IWOULD TRADE THIS OFF ALSO .THIS GUN HAS MYRTLE WOOD . I HAVE SHOT IT 3 TIMES AN ITS A TACK DRIVER.

DAVE
  • Options
    edited November -1
    which is best for 9mm usage, 115jhp,125 jhp,115 round nose does it matter or is it all on the shooters ability to perform?

mostly for personal& HOME defence, then for target practice I ask because of the fact that some say practice with what u use to protect
    self& home.

thanks for the input
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know, is there any differance in the 7.62x39 Lapua ammo being boxed in the Orange Box vs the White box???? Thanks a bunch.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can anyone tell me the differance between a 0mm round and a 9mm Luger round? Also, will a 9mm Luger round be compatable with a Berette 92FS 9mm pistol?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any ideas where I can purchase amunition for a Winchester Model 1903 .22 Cal Automatic Rifle. I believe the ammo for this rifle is bigger in diameter than regular .22 ammo. .22 long rifle will split the casing and expand in the chamber and not eject. I have heard that some ammo manufacturers make runs of outdated ammo now and then for sale.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hi guy's !! just checking on some ammo i found at a pretty good price, problem is , i'm looking for 22 mag, and this box of ammo that i found is, as it says on the box ie; coast to coast master mag .22 lr , is this what i'm thinking or is this just long rifle stuff, with a wannabe name,thanks, rusobr2
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is it legal to sell ammo as a private party at a gun show? I was given a couple boxes for a caliber I don't have and figured I try and sell it.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have come across a few pieces of ammo that i can't identify. I am no expert so help me out. Here's the description. It is rifle ammo in a brass casing. Stamped on the primer end is W R A 62 and a stamp that resembles a circle with one verticle line and one horzontal line. The primer has a tinge of red on it. the bullet end seems to have red wax in it. Is it a tracer or maybe a blank?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    is it all right to use the russian made ammo with the steel casings in my 1911--its a springfield armory gi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Hopkins & Allen pistol
    Jan 5- Oct 5- '86
    1303 stamped on cylinder and 10/703 on butt
    I believe it to be 32 cal.
    My question; Is ammo still available for this
    item and where it can be purchased?

Thanks for any input
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have 1/2 box of Winchester 9mm shotgun shells, in the box they came in. Both in outstanding condition,25rds. Should I put them on Gun Broker with a reserve.[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am in NY and want to put ads on GB to sell of some of my ammo. I have heard that I can't ship from NY or bring into NY any ammo. Can you please cleify for me??

Thanks
    Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Has anyone used Silver Bear ammo in their Ar-15. Any opinons or experience with using this ammo will be apprciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where is the cheapest place to buy brass-cased, non-corrosive ammo for my ar-15 chambered in .223. I dont want any steal cased ammo. I also dont plan on reloading this round. I would like to buy half a case or a full case. FMJ or SP. Thanks for your time and help.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello most of the time but not allways if you see a cartdridge listed as a number then an X and then another number the first number is diameter of bullet and the second number is the case lenght .Thus in your example both have the same diam bullet and 39 vs 54 the 54 would hold more powder and be somewhat more powerful quote:"PRAISE THE HARDBALL GUN"
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi and welcome to the forum!

While many may think your questions are too elementry, new shooters do find all the terminology confusing. I'll see if I can give you a top level answer to your question. And I recommend that you go to the library and pick up a couple books on the basics of firearms and ammunition. You can of course buy them, but why spend the money if you have a library nearby. If you don't go look in Amazon.com their prices are pretty reasonable.

Now the questions:

Diff. between 7.62x39 and 7.62x54: Both are 30 caliber, the difference is in the case length and shape, and this relates to the firearm(s) that will fire them. Each cartridge, rifle or pistol has identifying info. that relates to the chambering of the gun(s) that can fire those cartridges.

Bullet types: Way to broad a subject to try and cover here. Short answer is that FMJ means Full Metal Jacket. In civiliam ammo this is basically the hardest bullet that therefore has the least expansion and deepest penetration. Soft point is typically a lead or other soft metal tip on the bullet and that helps it expand, these bullets have more expansion than FMJ and somewhat less penetration. Hollow point, of the three mentioned has the greatest expansion and lesser penetration because the front part of the bullet is hollow and when the bullet enters soft tissue the hydraulic action of the tissue, blood, etc., aids in forcing the bullet to open up. Often times hollow point bullets have scoring lines that will control the direction or expansion pattern. Bullets with various tips are generally some form of expanding or semi-expanding round. Tips are either a different metal or even polymer and the tip is essentially intended to improve the ballistics (flight) while providing expansion.

There are many ... many bullet designs out there and most are marketed as the best you can get for doing whatever it is that you want to do, etc., etc. What you need to do from here is to take the brief basics offered above and study up so that you can recognize the different applications that a particular design would work best in.

Lastly, like most things in life, you never really quit learning in the shooting world. It's a good sport and I hope that you get many years of enjoyment from it.

6730814-S.gif

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 7.62 x 39mm is the "30 caliber" round most commonly found in AK's and SKS's. It is a rimmed cartridge, actual bullet diameter is something like .310 or .311. Ruger chambered the Minithirty auto load rifle as well as a carbine length bolt rifle in it. I believe CZ also has a bolt rifle in 7.62x39. The 7.62x54R is also of Soviet design and a rimmed case but is most commonly found in the M44 and Mosin-Nagant rifles hitting the market the last couple years and most of the so called Draganov styled rifles. I am unsure of the actual bullet diameter, but think it to is .310 to.311. The two are NOT interchangeable. The 7.62x39 is typically on par with the
    30-30 for performance, depending on loading and the 7.62x54R is somewhat comparable to the .303 British or a lighter loaded .308 in performance. The U.S. originated .308 is semirimmed case and uses a .308 diameter bullet. The 7.62x54R is from the turn of the last century Russia, the 7.62x39 was designed toward the middle or end of WWII in Russia. There are others more well informed than I and I bow to their study and correction where I am wrong.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the zoo, N2!

OK, to pick a couple of nits, but *not* on you . . . no one was *born* an expert, least of all me.

When you say "bullets," technically you are referring to the projectiles, not the cartridge entire (I mean, do you *really* want to sound like Peter Jennings and the DNC? [;)]).

Further, the correct term for the second cartridge is 7.62x54R as alle referred to it. This is actually a critical matter when referring to metric-designated cartridges so that the identification is accurate. While it does not pertain to this exact round, there are many otherwise identical metric cartridges whose sole difference lies in the head design. Thus it is vitally important to distinguish between the x99 (rimless), x99R (rimmed), x99SR (semi-rimmed), x99RB (rebated) or x99B (belted). Not all metric cartridges include all these variations and indeed most are only found in a single configuration, but failing to use the entire name is at best inaccurate.

With no disrespect to allechalley, there are several factual errors in his reply. The 7.62x39 is a rimless cartridge. The bullet diameter is nominally in the .310 - .311" range with a weight typically on the order of 120 - 140 grains. The 7.62x54R is a rimmed cartridge using .308" bullets, as do all(?) US ".30 caliber" rounds from the most common to the most obscure, and normally weigh 150 to 220 grains. One other correction to his comments, the 7.62x51 NATO (or .308 Winchester when in civilian clothes) is a rimless cartridge, not semi-rimmed. The semi-rimmed design is actually the least common head design (the reasons are a whole 'nother topic!) and are seldom encountered.

Now, outside of the terminology, another key difference is the case length. In metric terminology, the number after the "x" is the case length - one of the few areas where I find metric usage superior to the Imperial. So the x54R is about 140% the length of the x39.

OK, this is already a long answer and entire shelves of books have been written about the differences / advantages / disadvantages of various bullet designs. So . . . a very cursury overview follows. Full metal jacket (FMJ) bullets are intended to penetrate without much expansion, leaving a deep, clean wound cavity . . . these are required for military rounds under the terms of the Geneva Convention. Fully jacketed bullets are also used for other reasons - they often feed better in automatic pistols, varmint hunters and trappers may use this design to minimize pelt damage and those hunting large dangerous game (e.g., water buffalo) use them for the penetration through muscle and bone to reach vital organs. Other designs are intended, upon striking the target, to expand to some degree ranging from minimal to massive.

It would be completely inaccurate to say any particular design (with a few exceptions) has "good" or "bad" points, only that each has appropriate and inappropriate usages which vary depending on the purpose to which it is put. This is sort of like comparing crosscut, ripping and metal saws. All are used for the same general purpose and in a pinch can be used interchangeably, but each works best for a specific set of circumstances.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain) ". . . And liberals / demoRats" (me)
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent reply, Iconoclast. Very readable.

N2shato,

Here is an article written by one of the Corbin Bros. about bullet making in general. It might get a little techincal in the descriptions but there are some good illustrations to go along with the verbage.

http://www.bulletswage.com/bullets.htm

http://www.bulletswage.com/intro.htm

Best.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Iconoclast,

Great reply but one bone. The 7.62X54R can be found with .308 to .311" bullets, in my experience, with the textbook standard being the latter.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Icon, I wasn't sure, as I stated as to bullet dia. on the 54R, but assumed (maybe incorrectly)that the Russkies wouldn't change bore diameter and change tooling to the inferior Americanski .308. Considering that the original Mosins were made in the U.S.A, that would indeed be possible. However, I truly should have known the 7.62x39 is a rimless and in my old age dithers, that the .225 winchester is about the only semirim(again, i'm probably wrong). As I said, I defer to wiser and more experienced hands.
  • Options
    STRIPPER-TIPPERSTRIPPER-TIPPER Member Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7.62x54 is the oldest military cartridge, still in use since 1891.Mostly used as a machine gun round now as the tapered and rimmed case feeds and extracts easily. Bullet diameter is .310. Some manuals only show .308 because proper size bullets were not available like today,or the bullet company who wrote the manual doesn't make a correct bullet. The Mosin Nagants were made in Russia first.Remington and Westinghouse made rifles under contract for WWI ,these rifles were not shipped due to the Russian revolution in 1917.Two thirds of the Winchester 1895s made were in 7.62x54 and sold to the Russian government. The Ruger mini thirty(7.62x39)has a .308 bore to take advantage of the bullet selection for reloaders. King of Finland won the 1939 winter olympics with a M39 Mosin Nagant made by SAKO.