In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

More Winchester Model 12 Help...

talusmantalusman Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
Greetings again. Last week in this forum I determined that my 26" Nickel Steel plain barrel Model 12 was destined to be a shooter. As such, I want to disassemble, inspect, clean and re-oil it. It doesn't seem to take down in the same manner as other pumps I've had. I've found that the magazine has a pin at the end, which when pushed allows the magazine to rotate and pull out a certain distance. I also was able to remove the trigger block via the screw behind the guard. Any tips on order of operations here and specifically how to get the barrel off and the breech bolt out? Thanks!

-Jeremy

Comments

• Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Jeremy: After you rotate the Magazine tube,and pull it out as far as you can, slide the action slide(forearm) forward too, it should be almost touching the Mag band. Then you put your hand on the barrel and extention and rotate it a quarter turn, and the barrel assy will now come off of the recevier. Since you have managed to remove the trigger guard assy. There is really no need to go any further, everything is accessable. Just spray it down with a good cleaning agent, Hoppes, Gun Scrubber, or what ever. You may want yo use a few q-tips to reach in the hard areas. Use a good oil and coat the inside getting the cartridge stop to lay flat, and in the right position, for reassy. of the trigger guard can be tricky, don't force anything. If you can't get it, take it to a gunsmith, shouldn't take more than 10 min. for him to do it. Any other questions, feel free to email me. click on only winchesters to the right. Look in the books and litature section, there are several good Md 12 manuals, that will walk you through everything. Regards Dave
  • Options
    BigBarnBigBarn Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    only winchesters, you duh the man! I was looking for something to add to your commentary, and could find nothing to add. In reality, the model 12 is very easy to take down, and clean, and if you do it regularly, it will service you for a life time!

Good Luck!!

BigBarn

"Respect the land, and it will respect you"
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big Barn: Thank-you! I have some Md 12s that are 80-92 years old, still on the first adjustment notch. They lasted several people their lifetime, now they will have to last mine! LOL Keep them clean, they don't wear. Thanks again big barn, Regards Dave
  • Options
    talusmantalusman Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Dave,

Yes, I managed to reassemble after taking out the trigger guard assy. Thanks for the info on barrel removal. With any luck I'll be shooting this week!

-Jeremy
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take good care of that M.12....it doesn't get any better!!!![8D]

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob