In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

KelTec P-32 vs P3AT

GlockLover77GlockLover77 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me if there is a substantial difference in stopping power, albiet limited, between the .32 and .380 bullet. The P-32 holds 7+1 vs the P3AT's 6+1. They are pretty much the same size, wieght, and cost. Also, what is the very BEST cartridge to use in either, as this weapon is only for concealed carry self defense, and extra mags are not an option for me. Thanks alot. (PS is there a really simple and explanatory web-site that compares sizes, loads and compositions of ammo, in a side by side teaching manner?)

Comments

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .380 typically has around 35-50 ft. lbs. more energy than the .32 when fired from those little guns.
    Another feature the P3AT lacks is no last slide hold-back. I chose the .380 simply because both cartridges are marginal at best for defense but the gun is so small and so light that there's simply no excuse for NOT carrying. That small bit of extra energy might be the difference however, when you figure back in the extra round the .32 is awful close.
    This site is likely the best you'll find for this topic: http://ktog.org/ and will likely cover everything you need to know from past problems (which have been ironed out for the most part), to which ammo feeds best in them, to shooting techniques, etc.
    I carry a Glock 29 (10mm) most of the time but once in a while I can't take it (either for concealment reasons, or for whatever) but the little Kel-tec comes along with me ALWAYS when the Glock is absent, and occasionally even when it's along...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    check out this guys auction for some awesome ammo, he lists several different cals.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=21177999
  • Options
    TrooperAllen469TrooperAllen469 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GlockLover77
    Can anyone tell me if there is a substantial difference in stopping power, albiet limited, between the .32 and .380 bullet. The P-32 holds 7+1 vs the P3AT's 6+1. They are pretty much the same size, wieght, and cost. Also, what is the very BEST cartridge to use in either, as this weapon is only for concealed carry self defense, and extra mags are not an option for me. Thanks alot. (PS is there a really simple and explanatory web-site that compares sizes, loads and compositions of ammo, in a side by side teaching manner?)

Welcome G-lover. I recommend Marshall and Sanow's book "Terminal Wound Ballistics: A Definitive Study". In short, they consider the .32 and .380 about equal in real shootings against real people.
    My own tests on wet newspaper illustrated that the .32 hollowpoint is more likely to expand. When I am off duty, and wearing shorts and t-shirt, I like my little .32 Beretta Tomcat. I practice with it often, and so I am confident with the prospect of making a precision(cranial vault) shot, should it ever be needed.