In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Para P14.45 mag problems

p64makp64mak Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
Howdy all...

I've got a Para-Ord P14.45 LTD that has, well, what I think of as severe feeding issues. I currently have 3 mags with it:

Mag 1 is the stainless hi-cap mag that came with the pistol; it tends to hang up (failure to return to battery) after every 2-3 rounds. A quick tap (tap-rack-bang) on the base of the mag, and she's good to go...but, I want to carry this gun daily, and that just ain't acceptible...

Mag 2 is a blued factory Para 14rd mag with a +2 extension, and works great, feeds perfectly 99%+ of the time (I have had a few failures, but I think they were ammo related...)

Mag 3 is an after-market 14-rdr, and feeds 13 rounds great, but locks
the slide with one round still in the mag.

So far, I havent noticed any change in feed between hardball or hollow-point ammo.

I should add that the factory barrel has been replaced by an Ed Brown match grade. When I drop the original barrel back in, accuracy suffers horribly, and little, if any, noticeable difference in reliability as far as mags go.

Basically: Is there anything I can do with these mags, or do I need to just keep buying mags until I can get a good half-dozen that work reliably? I love the pistol, and ideally, it would be my carry gun (yes, I'm permitted)...when it works, it's the most accurate handgun I own...I just want to make it more reliable.

Thanks for any input you may have.

"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."--PJ O'Rourke

Comments

• Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Not sure about #3, but probably tight feed lips on the others. Load the mags, and with the mags in your hand, push the rounds out one at a time. Watch and see what happens to the next round. It should come up evenly, and end up at the correct angle. Adjust the feed lips until it does. A wood dowel the diamater of the round works good for this.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have had the best luck with the 10 round Mec-Gar mags. I usually replace the mag springs in the high caps with stronger Wolff springs for better reliability. I have seen the problem you have with your #3 mag with factory mags in a lot of the Para-Ord pistols.
  • Options
    vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    aren't the "factory" mags made by Mecgar also? I use the Mecgar 10 rounders without problem... will buy a standard capacity mag in September :-0

vipersig.jpg