In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SKS magazine modification

Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
I was looking thru the ATF Federal Law book they provide us and would like to ask this question.

If you have a SKS with a fixed magazine and convert it to removable, that does not make it an 'assault weapon' does it?

An all original Chinese SKS (not yugo with a grenade launcher) with the only other feature being the bayonet thus not having two other banned features as stated in Chapter 44 of Title 18 U.S. Code, Section 921 (30) (B)

awcountdown.gifIt wasn't only the Bill Clinton Gun Ban- without Bill Ruger there would of been no ban .
MichaelMooreFatStupid.gif

Comments

• Options
    STRIPPER-TIPPERSTRIPPER-TIPPER Member Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are an AW in CA with a detachable mag, because we only need one item to reclassify it.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    99% of the "removable" mags for the SKS don't work; the other 1% don't work well.

They are a waste of money. Just buy some stripper clips, & you will find that you can reload much faster than using a "removable" mag.

Neal
  • Options
    ker2222ker2222 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am going to have to agree with both the previous posters and especially nmeyers. The sks removable mags simply don't work well. Me and my bussies went through an "SKS stage" where we were all trying to fix up chinese SKSs. Two of my buddies tried to put on removable mags--steel 30roundres. As far as I know, and I asked around, putting on a removable mag did not make them illegal (outside of california) because they only had the 1 other feature (bayonet lug).

But, neither of the removable mags worked, changing out the mags was difficult and with that crazy arm on them, there was no effecient way to carry extras. Both my buddies returned to the fixed mags. Stripper clips are easy to carry and quick to load and made shooting a lot more enjoyable for my buddies.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I agree with all above. I am going to convert my sks back to a fixed magazine. I spent several hundred dollars on composite removable mags and to say the least they were disappointing. I then tried a steel one with the same results.

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto on the removeable mags ... if you want a higher capacity than 10, the only solution I've found that is reliable is the Chinese fixed 20 round mag ... and it takes twice as long to load with stripper clips than the fixed 10 rounder(about 6 seconds as opposed to 3), but its still faster than using a detachable mag!
    If you really want to do something, you'll find a way ...
    ... If you don't, you'll find any excuse.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An SKS, outside of California, can have the removable mag and bayonet lugs and still be legal (two banned features).

With regard to detachable mags - ALL TRUE. The removable mags have to be fiddled with to be loaded in the rifle and two hands are a definite requirement. I use 30 round detachable steel mags on mine. I put one in the rifle and the other in my back pocket.

However, the fiddling doesn't bother me that much and I prefer the 30 round capacity rather than a ten round capacity. These mags have been consistent feeders and the rifle hasn't jammed or failed to feed. I have even used them in my local Gun Club contests with no ill effect. I don't think I have ever had an occassion where more than 30 rounds was required for the type of shooting that I do.

So this is the other side coin for the detachable mag.

Heavy[8D]
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Here is the auction:

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=21307051

This rifle does not take those STUPID duck bill SKS mags.

It was converted to take AK47 Magazines.

Email me if you want the file that tells you how to do the conversion.

awcountdown.gifIt wasn't only the Bill Clinton Gun Ban- without Bill Ruger there would of been no ban .
    MichaelMooreFatStupid.gif
  • Options
    LarzmanLarzman Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a couple of 20 round box mags also...they don't even work well...stick with the factory 10 rounder...most reliable!!
  • Options
    bingeebobbingeebob Member Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think the fixed 10 round magazines are fine. but it would be nice to have a 30 round capacity, but the sks detachables do not work at all, i have tried to use them on a friend's sks and i hate them, i have seen some sks's modified to take ak-47 magazines, i think this would be ideal, but i have no idea how to do it, RED223, i would appreciate that file. thanks.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Red223
    Here is the auction:

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=21307051

This rifle does not take those STUPID duck bill SKS mags.

It was converted to take AK47 Magazines.

Email me if you want the file that tells you how to do the conversion.

From the auction in question:
    quote:To answer some questions and ensure everyone knows, I would like to point out that the SKS was not imported as accepting detachable mags and was adapted after importation to accept the AK magazines.

I thought these conversions were done in China? Or at least some of them???

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

lafayette.gif

Not a member at the auction? Join Gunbroker at this link!
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also from the auction in question:

"There is no bolt hold back feature, must insert magazine and load thru the top."

That doesn't sound like MY idea of a detachable mag. It appears to be an unsuccessful conversion attempt.

Red, you're kicking a dead horse. You asked for opinions, you got good advice, so
    do what you want now; just don't complain to us.

Neal