In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ted Williams 30-06 bolt action.

ubcphilcoubcphilco Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
My brother was inquiring about an old Ted Williams 30-06 bolt action. The model number is not know at this time, but any information would be appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    The Old Ted Williams (Sears-Roebuck) Model 53, 'Ted Williams' Bolt Action Rifle was Manufactured by SAVAGE for Sears & Roebuck..The M53 was made in .243, .270, .308, .30-06..Came with a 22" Barrel, Weighs 6 3/4lbs. Open rear Sight and Ramp Front Sight, Standard Sporter Stock with Pistol Grip. Checkered.....and sold New for $175.00.....On todays market and in Good Condition.....Maybe $250.00........

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "OLD" Sear-Roebuck was J.C. Higgins - The Later Sears was Ted Williams. Neither were gun mfg. they just used the names to promote. I have seen some in Mossberg boltaction, Winchester Boltaction (and pre-64), and as "CAPT KIRK" stated Savage also, they should be listed in the Blue Book in the back under Store Brands. I will say this: When I worked for "Poulan Chainsaw" in Shreveport, La. The SEARS was better than the original "Poulan" (pronounced; POOOOL ANN). The SEARS were tested under extreme usage and any weakness was improved on the SEARS Models.

Ronnie G. Perkins
  • Options
    pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've also seen some "Ted Williams' from Sears with FN actions!!

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    My first deer rifle was a FN made
    J.C.Higgins 30-06.[;)]

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    I'm gonna move you guys to the General Discussion Forums if this keeps up......

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sears and Roebuck, J.C. Higgins Model 51 Bolt Action Rifle in .30-06 caliber made its debut in late 1951 or early 1952. It was manufactured for the "Farm Store" and Catalog of that time called "Sears and Roebuck" by Hi-Standard. It was made on an FN Mauser Action and continued to be made that way throughout its history although as the Actions were "up-dated" such as when the FN 300 and later actions hit the market. These showed up on the "Model 51 J.C. Higgins Rifles, also. The "Ted Williams" branded merchandise sold at Sears was always a "little nicer" cosmetic wise than the "plain" J.C. Higgins brand.......although just as good in most cases, and there are actually Sears and Ted Williams collectors who know much more about these than I do. Maybe one of those folks will show up and tell us a lot more about both the J.C. Higgins and the Ted Williams line of guns.

"Life is FRAGILE!" Handle With Care!
  • Options
    CZECHMATE2CZECHMATE2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sears also used to sell motorcycles with their name on them. The one my brother bought in 1967 was made by Benelli.
  • Options
    utahmikeutahmike Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been trying to find info on my Sears Rifle it is a 30-06 cal., mod. 53, mod no.273.1830. i would like to know year it was made and any value it may have. it is in excellent condition. i use and clean it often. and how do i identify the action make. i always thought it was winchester or savage but i was leaning towards winchester, any links or comments would be very appreciated. paid $150 for it when i was 16 which was 11 years ago. The guy that i bought it from said it might have had 2 boxes of shells shot out of it. it need a little cosmetic touch ups on the stock, i refinished it (was that bad) it looks very good i took my time and did a quality refinish. i love it. any inf would be helpful, thanks in advance.[:D]

-Mike-
  • Options
    oz652oz652 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a web site that cross refs. Sears to the actual manufacturer and their model, it was correct for my gun. Good luck!
    http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/cross_reference.html#cross
  • Options
    jayhandersonjayhanderson Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Sears Model 53 is not a Savage - It's a Winchester Mod. 70. Does anyone know where I can look up my serial number for one of these Sears brand rifles to find out what year it was manufactured?
    Thanks!