In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W 686

GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to find info on a n S&W 686 7 shot with a 7" barrel.
I have not found one in the auctions,is this rare?
The box is marked #0278 under the special order spot.
Thanks

Comments

• GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im looking to buy a used S&W 686 357mag and wanted to know what the difference is between the ones that are just 686, and the ones with a dash and a number following. ex. 686-3 686-1 etc. thanks
    edited November -1
    I recently aquired a Smith & Wesson model 686-3, six shot with a 6" barrel. It has an unfluted cylunder. It is the only unfluted cylinder I have seen except for custom guns. Can anyone tell me more about this revolver?
    edited November -1
    some idea of value and date of mfg. on a smith 686-#awe7331
    357 --6" stainless. really nice!! tight as a tick!! no marks or scratches hardly at all.

thanks, r17
    edited November -1
    when (what model number) did they go to the transfer bar firing system? thanks.
    edited November -1
    Has anyone had any problems with this model of S&W? I know the 66s and 19 will shoot loose with a steady diet of mag loads. How about the 686? Thanks.
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many early 686s would lock the cylinder up when fired with magnum loads. Firing 38 Specs didn't cause the problem. S&W did a recall that fixed the problem. Otherwise they have been very solid revolvers.
  • DIESEL TECHDIESEL TECH Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 686 that was my first police service revolver. I purchased this gun when we went to the Glock. To date this gun has digested over 80,000 rounds of ammuntion, mostly .38's and about 10,000 magnums. I have had to install and oversize hand and lengthen the yoke but otherwise this has been a very dependable weapon. This revolver has accounted for three deer and numerous rabbits. The deer were all one shot kills. I have other S&W's but this one is my favorite.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information. Have a great day.