In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

m1 carbine mags

Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
What are the best ones out there for M1 carbines. Are there any more reliable ones (ie. 15rds, 20rds, 30rds)

Comments

• catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    I believe the CMP has a write-up on their website regarding M1 Carbine mags. which one are the best and which ones to avoid.

Found the link, it's a pdf file that'll come up in a new browser window.

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/Repair/Carbine_30_Round_Magazines_September_2007.pdf
  • USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    i have seen many original new ones at gun shows, still in the cosmoline soaked wrappers, check out any gun shows in your area, the 15 round ones are pretty cheap, while the 30s are pretty high priced.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    If you go for the 15rd mags, I believe they all are USGI. And I've never heard from anyone about a jam, etc with the 15 round mags as the cause of the jam.

Problems arise with the "off capacity" magazines. Much greater chance they will be made in a foreign knock-off shop. Joe
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Check the spring tension on any mags you want to buy.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the peoples Demokratik Republik of Kalifornia we have to buy aftermarket 10 round mags.
    We had problems with several of our carbines when we used 30 round mags. They were too heavy & would not be held reliably in the gun.
    I never had a problem with the 15s but the one I was issued could not be depended on to retain the 30s. Worse yet was when people thought it was a neat idea to tape two 30s together.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are folks now selling knock-offs of the 15 rd USGI mags. They are all of thin steel, & don't work well. Be sure to look for the manufacturers code of USGI mags stamped on the spine.

Unfortunately, USGI rd mags are a minimum of $10.

Neal
  • ww2buff9067ww2buff9067 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 30s always ate the last round, no matter how many I put in, weak springs. My 15s never have had a problem, you can get some at www.cheaperthandirt.com.

Cheers,

Mike
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gruntled, I never heard of dropping 30 rd mags. Your mag catch or catch spring must be at fault.
    Carbine mag lips are not all that robust and a slight bend to the lips will cause misfeeds.
    The issue rubber mag lip covers are a good idea if they are still available. They keep junk out of the mag and protect the lips.
  • firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The carbine mag catch was modified by the military because the style called the M1 catch dropped the heavier 30 round magazines, especially on those carbines capable of full auto firing. It was replaced with the style called the M2 (actually officially called a type IV) to correct this. They can be distinguished by an underlined "M" on the end.

Just thought I'd mention it.