In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester model 1960

hdcp11hdcp11 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
newbie here, was just giving a winchester model 1960. Serial # 544395 B. what might be the value of this type of gun? $100-$300 or more

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sincerely doubt that you have a Winchester Model "1860"... Winchester did not exist as a company prior to the year 1866.

What I believe that you have, is a Winchester Model 1873 lever-action, and based on the serial number, it was manufactured shortly after the year 1900. (the model designation should be stamped on the upper tang just behind the hammer).

If my assumption is correct, there are many things I need to know before I can answer your question;

1. What is the caliber (e.g. 44 W.C.F., 38 W.C.F., or 32 W.C.F.).?
    2. What is the barrel length?
    3. What type of barrel contour (e.g. octagon, 1/2 octagon, or round)?
    4. Magazine tube length (e.g. full length, or shorter than the barrel)?
    5. Buttstock configuration (e.g. straight-grip or pistol-grip)?
    6. Butt plate configuration?
    7. Trigger type?
    8. Plain walnut or deluxe?
    9. Plain stocks or checkered?
    10. Standard open iron sights, or special order target sight?
    11. Blued receiver/frame, or color case hardened?
    12. Bore condition?
    13. Condition of the stocks?

If you can provide pictures of your Winchester, I can answer many of the questions myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    I sincerely doubt that you have a Winchester Model "1860"... Winchester did not exist as a company prior to the year 1866.

What I believe that you have, is a Winchester Model 1873 lever-action, and based on the serial number, it was manufactured shortly after the year 1900. (the model designation should be stamped on the upper tang just behind the hammer).

If my assumption is correct, there are many things I need to know before I can answer your question;

1. What is the caliber (e.g. 44 W.C.F., 38 W.C.F., or 32 W.C.F.).?
    2. What is the barrel length?
    3. What type of barrel contour (e.g. octagon, 1/2 octagon, or round)?
    4. Magazine tube length (e.g. full length, or shorter than the barrel)?
    5. Buttstock configuration (e.g. straight-grip or pistol-grip)?
    6. Butt plate configuration?
    7. Trigger type?
    8. Plain walnut or deluxe?
    9. Plain stocks or checkered?
    10. Standard open iron sights, or special order target sight?
    11. Blued receiver/frame, or color case hardened?
    12. Bore condition?
    13. Condition of the stocks?

If you can provide pictures of your Winchester, I can answer many of the questions myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bert. i think u miss read... 1960 not 1860
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Bert felt that maybe the querent mistyped the patent date since there is neither a Winchester Model 1860 nor a Model 1960. More details are definitely needed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hdcp11
    bert. i think u miss read... 1960 not 1860

There is no such thing as a Model "1960" either (and I did assume that you either misread or mistyped the date). Based on the specific serial number you provided, and the fact that it has the "B" at the end of it, it is a very strong possibility that you have a Model 1873 (which has an "1860" patent date roll stamped on the barrel).

What I fail to understand, is why you have not yet provided any other information about it... such as the action type, caliber, and a phyiscal description of the gun itself? Would it be asking too much of you to do so? Posting a few pictures of it will undoubtedly clear up many questions as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sorry bert, here goes. 22 cal. pump action rifle. on top of barrel reads: manufactured by the winchester repeating arms co. new haven conn. u.s.a. pat. june 26. 88. dec 6. 92. nov. 27. 06. may 30. 1911
    -MOD. 1906-....on top of rear sight reads: - pat. jan 29. 1901 -....
    top left on barrel reads: 22 short-long or long rifle.... under receiver reads: 544395
    B

on the tang under grip reads: 544395....pump looks like a fluted grip.barrel and receiver are blued slight blue wearing near pump action...stock looks good minor dents no cracks or splits..tube feed magizine. hope this will help you . now as a novice you can see why i thought this was a model 1906. thanks for your help. john t.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sorry bert, here goes. 22 cal. pump action rifle. on top of barrel reads: manufactured by the winchester repeating arms co. new haven conn. u.s.a. pat. june 26. 88. dec 6. 92. nov. 27. 06. may 30. 1911
    top left on barrel reads: 22 short-long or long rifle.... under receiver reads: 544395
    B

on the tang under grip reads: 544395....pump looks like a fluted grip.barrel and receiver are blued slight blue wearing near pump action...stock looks good minor dents no cracks or splits..tube feed magizine. hope this will help you . now as a novice you can see why i thought this was a model 1906. thanks for your help. john t.

You're correct that it is a Model 1906. However, both your title and opening thread said Model 1960, which led to the confusion!
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    see why i thought this was a model 1906.Actually, you are correct, you have a Winchester Model 1906 22 rifle. The problem was you typed Model 1960 in your original post.

By "pump looks like a fluted grip" do you mean it has grooves around the slide handle? Also, can you estimate the percentage of blue on the barrel and receiver? Now that we know what you have, is it possible to post pictures so that original condition can be determined? Suffice it to say if your gun is all original and its condition is as you described it can certainly be worth more than $300. Bert will be able to give you an accurate DOM date and can also give you a good idea of value if you can post good pictures.

From Ned Schwing's reference book it appears your Model 1906's receiver was probably manufactured sometime during February of 1919.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    edited November -1
    B

There... now that is the right way to describe a gun. What you have to keep in mind, is that we can not see the gun in question... only you can, and we are essentially "in the dark" until we can get a clear concise description (or pictures). Without having all of the facts, it is often very difficult to determine precisely which specific Winchester is being referred to. The pictures below are of one of my Winchester Model 1873s... note the serial number and the patent date on the barrel (October 16, 1860)

QNFQU-Serial305719B.jpeg
    Addressstamp.jpeg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert - Isn't that patent date October 16, 1866? Sorry but I can't see the last digit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Bert - Isn't that patent date October 16, 1866? Sorry but I can't see the last digit.

Hello Tom,

No, it is October 16, 1860 (Henry B. Tyler's patent). The March 29, 1866 patent date is Nelson King's patent for the side loading gate that was introduced with the Model 1866.

Take a look at the pictures in this auction link - http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=93441717