In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 1897 12ga

Bill BoyerBill Boyer Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have an Winchester 1897 12ga serial # C218289.
I'm trying to find the value and how & where I can advertise 4Sale.
I had one person tell me that he believes that the wooden pump stock may have been replaced because its not grooved and is smaller than the actual pump slide. If that is the case,where can I get a replacement.

Can you help me with these questions.
Thanks,

Bill Boyer

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Bill,

The serial number tells us that it is a 1903 "C" series vintage gun.

I will need to see a picture(s) of the slide-handle (pump handle) to determine if it is factory original or not. As for replaceing it, your chances are very slim (or none) that you will find an original 3-screw slide-handle stock that is in reasonable condition. The 3-screw slide-handle stocks were the one and only weak spot on the Model 1897, and were highly prone to cracking (which is probably why the one on your gun is not original). Winchester solved the problem when they came out with the "D" series guns at circa serial number 248,500.
  • Bill BoyerBill Boyer Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do I attach pictures, do you have an email addr. that I can insert pictures.