In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

lyman sights?

GarthGarth Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
i own an older marlin 30/30 model r.c. the receiver was pre drilled on the left side to accept aftermarket sights. i also own a set of lyman sights that i have considered mounting to my rifle. worth it or not? i appreciate any comments from those with more sight knowledge than myself. thanks

Comments

• Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use receiver sights on two of my Marlin lever actions, and consider the receiver sight to be far superior to the factory open sights. I have removed those factory sights and installed a dovetail blank in their place, putting these sights away for the future and collector interest down the road. I also have replaced the front sight with a slightly smaller Ivory bead, because I feel it works better for me in varying light conditions.

The receiver sight offers the advantage of a much longer sighting plane for greater alignment accuracy; the ability to ignore the rear sight and focus on the front sight and the target, your eye naturally centering in the rear aperture. For hunting I remove the disc and use the "ghost ring" that remains for extra-fast acquisition of sights and with a better view of the target; for target shooting a smaller disc of appropriate size for lighting and distance and bullseye size, to your preference. I can still use the receiver sights pretty well, even into my 60's age, the open sights not nearly as well.

With practice you'll find near-scope accuracy and perhaps quicker sight picture acquisition for hunting. Your rifle's pre-drilled and tapped holes means you won't be defacing your rifle in any way.
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    I just picked up a 45-70 Marlin 1895 with a receiver mounted peep sight and I love it. I've preferred peep sights ever since I started shooting Garands 10 years ago. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been installing Tang Peep sights on my Stevens single shots as I can find them and afford them. I can shoot a lot better than with the open sights. You will like it.