In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

newbie looking for advice on 1st handgun...

clickclickclickclick Member Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hello all,
I am in the market to buy my first handgun & will be carrying it concealed. I was looking at the Ruger 9mm (friend just bought one) but have seen too many responses that they are a bit bulky & or heavy to carry concealed.

I know this is a general question but what is a good direction for a reasonably priced pistol - around $200-$400 range? I want something that is a good size to conceal, somewhat lightweight, reliable & a gun that doesn't need maintenance ALL the time... Please ask questions if it helps! I just don't want to go out on a whim & purchase the first "cool" gun I see! [?]
Thanks!

Comments

• MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to a gun store or pawn shop that has a variety. When you have narrowed your search down to a couple of firearms that are comfortable to you (personally), then come back to this forum and see what kind of reveiws have been discussed regarding your choice/choices.

When you ask advise, everyone has a different opinion. If you find the gun that is comfortable to you, then get feedback on that specific item, you will be better off. At least that's my 2 cents....

Aaron
  • GarthGarth Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would look at buying a keltec pf9. its small, light, and a 9mm. prices are around $300-$400. there is a crimson trace laser available for it for extra cost. best
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I realize that you have mentioned a 9mm pistol- but you may want to give some consideration to a revolver- .38 Spec or .357 Mag. Small, light, good stopping power, not maintenance intensive- and when things get frantic- and they do- they WORK. A decent USED S&W Mdl 36 or 37 will run around $300- and they are not fussy about feeding a particular cartridge, no safety to fumble, etc. And yes, Crimson Trace grips are available.

I do have an older Browning Hi-Power that I love, very reliable- but what usually goes on my belt for a trip to the store is a wheel gun.

But you can ask 10- people, and get 12 different answers. Find the one you like, and fits you. But for CCW, the first criteria should always be WORKS first time, every time.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a range close by that has rental guns, it would be the place to start. You would be able to get a actual hands on experience with many different types of guns. Also because so many people fire these guns, only the most durable ones are used as rentals.

How you intend to carry and what type of holster you will be using, will have a great influence on the type of handgun you are going to purchase.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 11b6r,
    You really have 2 questions; i.e. what's a good first handgun, and what's a good gun for concealed carry. IMHO a good d.a. .38 or .357 is the best answer to both questions. That said, a good .22 would be the best first handgun; a nice semi-auto could be a better concealable piece with comparable power.
    For both needs in one handgun, though, I'd go back to the d.a. revolver.
    Good luck.
  • 308plinkerVT308plinkerVT Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    new to handguns and concealed carry? pick a weapon that will work with you and not confuse you in a do or die situation (make sure you know all the parameters of this kind of situation in your state too - could save YOUR life). glock 26 or 27, depending on your level of comfort and ability to control the recoil of the smaller frame handgun (my wifey shoots my 27 (40 cal) ok, but would prefer a 26 (9mm)). typically a smidge more than the price range you are looking for, keep your eyes open for a good deal on a used one. also keep in mind that glocks have been torture tested to extremes by many many people and usually have not found a "death point" (many books out there - one i found they actually shot the chamber area of a glock as PART of one torture test, even with a large dent it still functioned and fired ((lone wolf dist. - "the complete glock reference guide")) most important - it will shoot when and only when you intentionally pull the trigger. trust me, you get what you pay for more often than not.
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    Personally, I like my Glock 23. But everyone is different. The 23 can be bulky to carry concealed with a T-Shirt and shorts, but it's doable.

I definitely second the opinion to go to a gun shop with a range where you can rent a few different guns. See what feels good to you. No sense wasting $300 - $400 on a gun that is recommend to you that you never carry because it does not 'feel" right to you.

Whatever you decide on, practice with it a lot. Shoot cheap ammo through it as well as your intended (more expensive) carry ammo. You need to make sure it eats whatever you plan on feeding it to save your life.

Good luck on your search. let us know what you decide.
  • clickclickclickclick Member Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, this is all great advice & gives me a great start! The reason I mentioned a 9mm is just because my buddy picked up a SS Ruger & can't stop talking about it.

I sell alot of C&R & antique firearms on GB auctions but never get to play with many modern handguns. I do like the simplicity & look of the revolver & maintaining them looks very easy.

My FFL friend I occasionally use to ship firearms gave me a business card for a company she recommends that offers Concealed Weapons Classes. I think I will call then to see if they offer rentals at their range. I agree hands-on is the best way to get a good idea what I like/dislike. I think I may ask my FFL if she wants to go to the range also as she like to practice & well she's got alot of used handguns...We do alot of business & maybe she will cut me a good deal.

The S&W 642 looks nice. Is it a large gun - it looks like it is... I have heard alot of good comments about the model 36 & 37.

Stupid question - what does d.a. stand for?

Rufe-snow, I hadn't thought about the type of holster or how I want to carry. I guess I have much to learn. What other options are there besides hip or shoulder?

Again, thanks for all the replies! Got me fired up to go take classes!
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a stupid question. Stands for "Double Action". Means you CAN cock the hammer and then pull trigger- OR- just pull the trigger, It is a much longer movement of trigger, and harder pull, but works. Which is why I am a fan of them- point gun, pull trigger HARD, and it makes a loud noise. Safety consists of that long trigger pull. A single action must be cocked before it can be fired.

Holsters? Shoulder- right side up, or upside down, or sideways. Hip? Strong side, crossdraw- inside the waistband, or outside? leather, nylon, or synthetic? There is even an ankle holster, and fannypack holsters. Even a crotch holster (google Thunderwear- really!)

Myself, for a Model 36/37/38/60, use an Uncle Mikes Inside-the-waistband= holster is soft synthetic (like suede) with a belt clip, and Velcro retaining strap for gun. Slips inside waist of pants, lip hooks over belt to hold in place. Inexpensive, easy to conceal or use, and keeps gun from falling down your pant leg.

DO find a good CCW class, and DO try different guns to see what works for you.
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of good answers, hit the stores and find what feels good in your hand. Then find a range and see if they have the same gun for a rental and give it a try, then try some others for comparison. Then as stated, come back and get some feedback on the choices you have narrowed down to. I started with a 22 revolver, then worked up to a 38. That was a longtime ago, but getting acquainted with firearms in general if your not experienced would be a worthwhile education.