In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Rolling Block Question

bazingobazingo Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
I am looking at what I believe is a model 1910 (by rear sight) rolling block rifle in 7 m/m. My questions are: how long did they make this model? Were they serial numbered? and is there any collector value (this is about 10% mostly due to the stock condition) or would this be a candidate for a conversion.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone know how rare a Remington Rolling Block in 44 Rimfire Long with a 34 inch barrel would be. Where could I find out?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a antique Remington Rolling Block in 7mm Mauser that is in mint condition. My question is, when I was a kid I shot this gun all the time using smokeless ammo that was stamped 7mm Mauser on the case. It has been 30 years since then and I wanted to start shooting it again. Where can I find ammo for it, or should I just reload ammo for it using black powder?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although 7mm Mauser ammo is still in commercial production and available. It's not particularly popular any more, and will be pricey.

Because of the relatively weak action/lockup of the rolling block, it will be better for you to load your own. Although you can use Black Powder, there are many BP substitutes on the market nowadays that are non corrosive and much easier to use.

Be watchful when reloading for incipient failure stretch marks on the fired cases. Years ago I tried reloading for a 7mm Rolling Block, and never succeeded using smokeless powder. Even just neck sizing the brass didn't solve the problem, as there was to much "spring" in the action, resulting in the brass stretching after just one shot.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    the 7x57 was never loaded with black powder, you have a rifle desinged for smokeless powder. any 'standard' u.s. 7mm mauser or 7x57 ammo will work in your rifle (not light magnum by hornady). the remington rollers didn't use the 'mauser' form of rifling or twist so you should try different weight bullets to see which works best. I've had the best results with the lighter bullets (145 gn.)