In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38 Special Revolver

ZeroArcaneZeroArcane Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
My mom is looking to pick up a 38 special revolver for protection. I'm trying to figure out which direction to point her in. She's looking to spend under $400, and would prefer a shorter barrel - below 3 inches.

Can anyone recommend a good quality, small, light 38 special revolver that isn't too pricey?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Frankly protection and low cost are two words that I hate to see put together in the same sentence because your life (or your loved one's) is priceless. $400 will buy a nice solid used revolver from Colt or S&W and I'd be looking at the classic models like the S&W Model 36, 37 or 60 (stainless) as well as the Colt Agent (one of my favorites).
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Small and light are also dirty words when it comes to actually shooting the gun. A S&W Model 10 (13,64,65) with 3" barrel or a Ruger Speed, Service, or Security Six with 2 3/4" barrel will be a much more manageable gun unless she means to carry it in her garter.
  • Options
    ZeroArcaneZeroArcane Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about a Ruger SP101? Is that a pretty decent way to go?
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Go to a local gunshop and have her handle some revolvers. If the shop has a range where they rent them all the better. Then she can see which one she can handle best.
  • Options
    kshockkshock Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the Taurus 85. Very similar to the S&W j frames but they are a little cheaper. I recently bought one for my wife. Was looking for a S&W but found that the classic Smith's are bringing a premium right now. The Taurus is a well made gun and worth looking at.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    ZeroArcane...you don't mention how experienced "mom" is with firearms. Has she ever shot a pistol? If not, training will be necessary as one just can't pick up a pistol and let 'er rip. If protection around the house is the object, a shotgun is the best way to go. Nothing like staring down the barrel of a shotgun to get one's attention. But if a .38 is the need, you have already received a lot of good recommendations. I have about every pistol mentioned, but prefer a Ruger GP100 as it gives "mom" the flexibility to use any kind of 38's...light loads to practice, +P's and up the line to .357. Its not "light" but recoil doesn't like "light" and practice helps with the "heavy." Taurus 85 is ok and any older Smith and Colt would be good but they are getting pricey. The older Rugers (Speed Six and Security Six) are still available and are built like tanks and give great service for much less $ than Smiths or Colts. But, again, "mom" must practice with whatever pistol you select to make sure that the one time she needs it she knows what to do and how to do it. Good shooting!
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Edit: If you want a good quality small and light .38 special revolver, these are your best bets.

The "Airweight" models have aluminum alloy frames, making them quite light and easy to carry. Unfortunately, they run *slightly* higher than your price, averaging maybe $440 used on the auction site:

Smith and Wesson model 637 (Hammered "Chief Special" version).
    sw637.jpeg

Smith and Wesson model 642 (Hammerless "Centennial" version).
    smith_642.jpg

The same guns can be had in blued steel (model 36) or stainless steel (model 60), though both are heavier in weight than the above two aluminum-alloy framed guns.

That's good because the guns will have less recoil. . .but bad because they will also be heavier to carry around.

The blued steel version in particular will cost less money, but may be prone to finish wear and/or rust if poorly maintained. Stainless is more maintenance free, but costs more.

Alternatively, both Taurus and Charter Arms make somewhat less expensive versions of all of the above guns, though both of these second-tier brands will lose a bit more in resale value than a Smith and Wesson.
  • Options
    gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd go ahead & get a .357. She'll still be able to shoot .38's just fine, but she'll also have the option of stepping up if she feels the need.
    GH1[:)]
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just an opinion, but I finally broke down and bought a 637 last year and that, without a doubt, was one of the hardest revolvers I've ever had to learn to shoot accurately at a 'safe distance. The hardest was a Freedom Arms mini revolver.

It took alot of practice before I felt comfortable enough to use it for concealed carry and consistanly hit a target at a reasonable distance.

If you are getting it for home protection, and it doesn't need to be concealed, I would recommend a K or L frame with a 4" barrel.