In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W - Walther Recall

tallcharlietallcharlie Member Posts: 673 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
quote:Smith & Wesson has identified a condition that may exist in certain PPK and PPK/S pistols which may permit a round to be discharged without the trigger being pulled. When the manual safety is disengaged, Smith & Wesson's Product Engineering Group has determined that the possibility exists in certain firearms that lowering the hammer may cause a chambered round to firehttp://www.smith-wesson.com/

or

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&content=62303&sectionId=10506

PPK and PPK/S recall. Please check out the S&W website.

There is a page where you can enter your information and S&W will send for your gun.

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember another poster starting a thread to the effect of "Smith has recalled my PPK, and hasn't sent it back after umpity-zillion weeks waiting" a few months ago.

Apparently S&W has recalled these guns for liability reasons, BUT doesn't yet have the parts to fix them, as said parts are on indefinite backorder.

In other words, unless something has changed recently (and it well may have. . .I don't know) you might not get your gun back from Smith for quite a long time after sending it in for repair.

So be careful here. If you own one of these recalled guns, its probably worth a call to Smith to check the status of their repair queue before sending in your gun.

While I wouldn't carry nor use a potentially unsafe gun that might discharge a round on engaging the safety, if I were going to have to wait several months for it to be fixed, I'd rather be waiting with the gun in my safe rather than in S&W's shop.
  • Options
    prusspruss Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sent my PPKS back and they received on 3/24/09. Last inquiry, I was told at least 12 weeks...... Still waiting.
  • Options
    aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I spoke with S&W on 5-15-09; they told me that they had received the parts to accomplish the recall, but that they had thousands of pistols to do and that I would be well advised to wait before sending my PPK/s in for repair.