In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

info on shotgun shell varieties?

XxNuggetsxXXxNuggetsxX Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a M67 12ga. with a 28" barrel, and recently shot my first box of shells(25) through it. The shells were 2 3/4" #8 1 1/8oz "light target load". After shooting them, i bought another box, 2 3/4" #5 1 1/4oz "express long range".
I opened one of each of the shells to examine the size of the bb's and amount of powder. Not surprisingly, the long range has more powder, and the bb's are a little bigger.
I guess my question is do i have to worry about the additional pressure from the larger charge? I bought them for the extra power, but now am wondering about the differences. Also any other general knowledge about shotguns/shells would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Nuggets.

Comments

• Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XxNuggetsxX
    I have a M67 12ga. with a 28" barrel, and recently shot my first box of shells(25) through it. The shells were 2 3/4" #8 1 1/8oz "light target load". After shooting them, i bought another box, 2 3/4" #5 1 1/4oz "express long range".
    I opened one of each of the shells to examine the size of the bb's and amount of powder. Not surprisingly, the long range has more powder, and the bb's are a little bigger.
    I guess my question is do i have to worry about the additional pressure from the larger charge? I bought them for the extra power, but now am wondering about the differences. Also any other general knowledge about shotguns/shells would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Nuggets.
    As long as the shell are 2 3/4 inch you will be alright. The savage 67 is a fairly modern gun and built to handle todays smokeless powder presures. If you want to learn more about shotgun shells and what there made of and dram equivalents and shot size, and low brass vs. high brass, and wads and etc....I would suggest a google search. Then read until your heart is content as there have been literally reams witten on the subject. Try this one for starters:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/intro_gauges.htm

OR

http://www.rbs0.com/shotshell.htm
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Different powders, different pressure CURVES, even though the MAX pressure is/maybe the same. IOW I can load a 1 1/8 3 dram load that is at 9000 LUP (Lead units pressure) or 13000 LUP I can also load a 1 1/2oz "Max" load that is at 13000 LUP, by simply changing the powder that I'm using.
    2 3/4 chambered shotguns have to all meet a minimum strength, while the shells themselves can not exceed a maximum pressure level.
  • Options
    XxNuggetsxXXxNuggetsxX Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yea the barrel is chambered for 3" magnums so i guess it shoud be alright.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you are really new to this!

quote:2 3/4" #5 1 1/4oz

2 3/4" = shell size (unfired length will actually be 2 1/2")

#5 = shot size (the smaller the number the larger the pellet)

1 1/4 = weight of shot charge in oz.

As the shot charge weight increases it will cause pressures to increase. Manufacturers compensate by decreasing the ammount of powder in heavy loads to reduce the pressure. This generally allows shells that are light and fast or heavy and slow to remain withing pressure specs. Increased velocity means more downrange energy but a thinner pattern. A heavier payload means a denser pattern but less downrange energy. You kind of have to "pick your poison" so to speak. Most modern guns are made to handle any shells currently manufactured, though a steady diet of "magnum" loads can shorten the life of lesser quality guns considerably.