In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stainles Steel mod. 36 S&W 38 cal.

mitchnolanmitchnolan Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1971 Stainles Steel mod. 36 S&W 38 cal. I have spoken w/Roy Jinks at S&W and he is saying it is a type of polish on it to make it look SS but I have let a few gun smiths look at it and sporting good gun stores and they have all agreed that it is SS.Do you think the gun could have been stamped wrong or is it a one of a kind custom made.

Comments

• givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mitchnolan
    I have a 1971 Stainles Steel mod. 36 S&W 38 cal. I have spoken w/Roy Jinks at S&W and he is saying it is a type of polish on it to make it look SS but I have let a few gun smiths look at it and sporting good gun stores and they have all agreed that it is SS.Do you think the gun could have been stamped wrong or is it a one of a kind custom made.

Good question. [Item in blue above]. Let's see the stamping you are refering to, and the finish. Sticky on top of ask the experts will guide you through the photo-posting process. Best, Joe
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good quality picture MIGHT help here.

Knowing Smith and Wesson, there is definitely some chance that your gun was stamped with the wrong model number.

The Smith model 60 and the model 36 are otherwise identical, so you might have a Smith model 60 that was mistakenly labelled as a model 36.

Other possible types of metal finish should look different enough from stainless steel that an experienced observer should be able to tell the difference. If several gun smiths and store owners think its stainless, its probably stainless.

For example, some of the model 36 guns were nickel-plated, but nickel has a bright and shiny look that should look different from stainless steel. I don't know if a matte-finish nickel would resemble stainless, but probably not.

An aftermarket chrome finish is also possible, though again, that has a slightly different color/look than stainless.

Alternatively a gun that has had the blued finish completely stripped off to the bare metal would look metallic, though again, the color should be a bit different than the characteristic light grey of stainless steel. Obviously a gun like that is a rust magnet!

Speaking of, some grades of stainless steel will not attract a magnet. I don't know off the top of my head if the older Smith 60s will or won't, but if your gun does NOT attract a magnet, then its probably safe to assume it truly is stainless.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nickel plate will look yellow compared to chrome plate or stainless steel which will have a bluish cast.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Someone might have had it hard chromed. Everybody that sees my '70 series combat commander thinks it is stainless.
    About the magnet, one sticks to every stainless S&W I own. Feels just as strong as any plain steel one.
  • cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. Nolan,

You say "1971" as year of Manufacture. It should be a J prefix serial number on a Model 36, a Model 60 would have an R prefix.

Mis-mark on model# maybe, mis-mark on serial# NO WAY!

To end all speculation, get the factory letter, it will tell the finish when it left the factory. The finish can be changed, but stainless goes clear to the bone & the factory records will tell.

There is a finish called "dura-chrome" that is after market & can fool the most into thinking it's stainless. First time I saw dura-chrome was a friend had a Ruger 357 refinished. Side by each with SS the color etc. was remarkable.

Jim
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm guessin' the Hard Chrome as well.. I've sent many to Rebel Gun Refinishing in Florida for a satin Hard Chrome..They're almost identical to S&W's satin SS..
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a mod 60 that was mis-stamped.
  • Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The surest way to tell whether the gun is stainless or is plated is as follows:
    Remove the grips, and use a small (1/8") drill bit to drill a small dimple in an area that the grips cover. Use cold blue (I use 44/40 brand) on a Q tip, and dab a little in the dimple. If the dimple turns black, the gun has been plated with nickel or chrome. if there is no reaction, the gun is stainless. Magnets will stick to stainless guns.