In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1885 High wall

GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
I traded for a 1885 High Wall last night and I am looking for verification on what I was told about the rifle and any other information that would help with a good description.
It's my understanding that this firearm was built by John Browning while he WAS NOT working for Winchester. It is stamped with Patent date Oct 7 79 on the lower tang. The serial number is 44457 and that serial number is one of several missing (Blue Book of Gun Values) during 1904-1905. I was told that John Browning built this gun after he left Winchester but before he went to work for Colt when he was self employed for a short time. The caliber is 7x57 rimmed. It is a round 22" barrel and I was told not original to the gun. The butt plate has been replaced with a brown rubber WhiteLine. I will be listing it here on GunBroker, but I wanted to verify my information first.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Looking to build a high wall in 30-40 krag. What is the best replica actiion to use? Do not want to use an original. Thanks.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    BERT H. who is a Moderator on the Ask the Experts Forum....Is our resident Authority on the High Wall Winchester...He might be the the Man You want to talk to about about building a Replica...? I can't and won't make any replies for Him...I wish You Luck.....best....
  • Options
    blacarrowblacarrow Member Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cimarron Arms sells an 1885 rifle for around $1100. A good used one generally goes for $800 or so, The quality is very good. Fit and finish rivals the original.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Geri,

Why not use an original, or better yet, find an original Model 1885 high-wall in 30 U.S. (a.k.a. 30 ARMY)? Winchester made just over 1,000 original high-walls in the 30 U.S. cartridge (I own one myself[^])

If you are intent upon building your own, try Uberti. The Ballard Arms Co. makes an authentic reproduction of the Model 1885 high-wall, but they will not sell you an action/frame (though they will sell you every piece and part that goes in one).
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    C. Sharps will sell you an 1885 Highwall action only for $1100, $1200 with single set trigger.

Cimarron will sell you a whole Uberti rifle in .30 Army for $1040-$1190 with plain or double set trigger, respectively. You could modifiy it as you liked.
  • Options
    prusspruss Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to ask a stupid question but what is a high wall?
    Thanks for the replies, Pete
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the input. I have a price and names along with information.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    davidsons had a run of 125 winchester/japan made high wall carbines in 30-40 krag. their are a few left and are on the auctions from 999.00-1300.00. i have one,but have not fired it so i don,t know how they shoot. eastbank.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pruss
    I hate to ask a stupid question but what is a high wall?
    Thanks for the replies, Pete

Pruss: take a gander at the photos in the link below. It shows, (and explains) the difference. Best, Joe
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=372883&SearchTerms=low,wall
  • Options
    prusspruss Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1