In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester No. 12 ?

47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
went to an auction/fleamarket today. One of my finds was a box of 9 brass shells marked Winchester No. 12. Look to be 12 Ga. and about 2.5 inches high. 2 have intact primers and all have a rolled "crimp" on the open end. Several have paper or cardboard wads inside (loose, I could get them out with a pair of needlenose pliers), None of the shells have any powder or shot. The primer looks to be different from normal (period) shotshells.

Now for my questions. Are these "black powder" shells? Can these be reloaded with smokeless? What primer do I use? I have some of the old castiron implements to roll the crimp and about a 100 of the cardboard wads.

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, they are 12 gauge shells. I believe that Winchester loaded them with smokeless powder as late as WW II. I also believe that when they were first introduced, Winchester made them in a No. 10 and a No. 12, which suggests that they were introduced for the Model 1887 lever-action shotgun (which was a black powder gun).