In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

50 cal optics

hydr01960hydr01960 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased an Armalite AR-50 and am i looking for a good scope to mount on it. This is not a want ad. I am just looking for some advice on which scopes would be a good fit for me. Thanks for your help!!

Comments

• NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Nightforce or IOR come to mind.

I personally like the IOR because of the MP8 Dot (NOT the same as the MP8 reticle) reticle, I have them on 3 of my guns.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    this is the mp-8 dot, first focal plane
    http://www.swfa.com/images/ior_mp8_popup.jpg

this is the MP-8 dot also
    http://www.swfa.com/images/ior_illum_mp8_popup.jpg

this is the full line of reticles offered by IOR valdada
    http://www.valdada.com/reticules.aspx

i like traditional cross hairs, but that is personal preferance

buy yourself an IOR and a computer ballistic reticle program and you'll be ahead of the game.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hydr01960,

Welcome to the Gunbroker Forums!

Congratulations on your new rifle also.

"I am just looking for some advice on which scopes would be a good fit for me."

This question is impossible for us to answer since we know nothing about you or how you will be using the rifle. A far as recommending good scopes for a .50 BMG, that's fairly easy. Good glass is a necessity for nearly any rifle. There are those that will insist that the Simmons and Tascos will hold up to .50 BMG and provide you with a sharp image at long ranges but most of us know that this is simply not true.

You need to afford the best glass possible for a rifle such as yours. Any less and you will have a hard time resolving those bullet holes in the target at the longer ranges.

As Nwcid points out, the better and top-of-the-line scopes are where you need to be looking. Besides the NightForce and the IOR, you should also consider the Schmidt & Bender, U.S. Optics, March, Swarovsky, Hensoldt, Burris Xtreme Tactical and Black Diamond lines. By far, the most popular and most used are the Nightforce and the Schmidt & Bender. If these prices scare you, you might rethink owning a .50 BMG. You might be able to step down to a Leupold but I don't recommend them anymore. Their quality has suffered and their prima donna attitude puts a lot of folks off.

Best.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    hydr01960,

Welcome to the Gunbroker Forums!

Congratulations on your new rifle also.

"I am just looking for some advice on which scopes would be a good fit for me."

As Nwcid points out, the better and top-of-the-line scopes are where you need to be looking. Besides the NightForce and the IOR, you should also consider the Schmidt & Bender, U.S. Optics, March, Swarovsky, Hensoldt, Burris Xtreme Tactical and Black Diamond lines.

Ditto,..those would be my suggestions as well
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like the other good gentlemen in the previous post have mentioned, I have the NightForce NXS on my Rem 700 Sendero in 300 RUM, and on my DPMS LR-308. Both are identical and are the 5.5-22x56 with the NR-1 reticle, and zero stop.

I have a friend who has Leupold MK4 LRT, NightForce, and Schmidt & Bender. I have shot them all, and my preference and budget likes the NightForce.

Take the advice of the previous poster's...if you don't and go with lesser glass, you are just tossing your money into the wind, as that 50 BMG will eat a TASCO, Simmons, or Bushnell.

Best