In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Model 12 hunting question

Jmoe131Jmoe131 Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hello,

I am still looking to purchase a Winchester Model 12 shotgun for small game hunting. For all the hunters out there which gauge would you recommend for dove, grouse, squirrel, pheasant, and rabbit? Thank you.

Comments

• duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Stilwater36Stilwater36 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mod 12 20Ga 26" or 28" Barrel Mod choke Best all around. If Pheasant over dog ok but pushing in corn field, full. Take Pheasent out of the mix I would go to Imp.cyl. If 20ga beyond you $$$ limits go to 12ga. Shells are as cheap and the load variety more available.
    Seems your doing more small game hunting just use 1oz 12ga loads,go max on the Pheasants.. Good luck mod 12 is a great hunting machine.
  • longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    12 or 20 ga. Either one will work, just whatever you can find in your price range.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
  • 20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 20ga would ne perfect for all the above mentioned critters. It will do all you need it to do and not kill your shoulder. if you reload fo then it will also be slightly cheaper to reload because of shot charge the most expensive component in the shell.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two Model 12's that I hunt with, both 16 gauges; one modified and one full choke. I prefer the 16, but for most folks I'd recommend the 20 based on the availability of ammunition.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    jmoe131, an ounce of shot is an ounce of shot reguardless of what it comes out of. the only precieved difference between a 12 ga. loaded at 3 dram equivelent and a 20 ga. loaded at 3 dram equivelent is the tube on the 20 is smaller thus possibly more recoil felt because of the pressure required to push it through the smaller tube. how much? can't tell you. my kick o-meter in my shoulder is broken. my best guess is either one will do a fine job, good luck.
  • 338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not much better than a model 12 but in the wallet area a 12 ga is reasonable while a decent 20 ga is quite pricy.