In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

high standard gb

supereaglesupereagle Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
i a was wondering if an olympic or supermatic barrel would fit a high standard gb lever takedown made in 1949 i was told a sport king would

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post your question to John Stimpson's High Standard forum at this link

http://disc.yourwebapps.com/Indices/226190.html

All I ever owned was the early lever takedown Sport Kings. It strikes me though that olympic or supermatic barrels would have to be the early versions made with the lever takedown to work on the GB model. Double check with Stimpson though, he's a long time collector and expert on High Standards.
  • JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    There are two issues with interchanging the barrels - barrel mounting block fit and sight height.

The adjustable rear sights used on the Flite King, Supermatic and Olympic barrels of the lever name series would require a taller front sight than th eones used on the fixed sight model Sport King. In the case of using the target model barrels with the fixed sight Model GB and Sport King, the front sight will be too tall.

Note that the Olympic barrel is chambered in .22 short which requires a different magazine and an aluminum slide fitted to the frame.

The barrel mount fit can be an issue. In the lever letter sereis which includes the Model GB, the barrel mounts were selected and fitted since normal manufacturing practices and equipment did not allow random selection of parts that would fit propely. The barrels were numbered to the frame so that after fitting and bluing the fitted parts could be reunited. The next generation generally no longer numbered the barrels but I suspect that the best fitts were stil selected from parts on hand.

There is a good chance that barrels you mention will assemble but they might not have the correct fit. If too tight a gunsmith can probably rework one or both parts to achieve a proper fit. If loose, it would be much more difficult to rework for a proper fit.
  • supereaglesupereagle Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thank you rufe and john it always helps to ask questions with guns you do not know i might just leave it alone quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Post your question to John Stimpson's High Standard forum at this link

http://disc.yourwebapps.com/Indices/226190.html

All I ever owned was the early lever takedown Sport Kings. It strikes me though that olympic or supermatic barrels would have to be the early versions made with the lever takedown to work on the GB model. Double check with Stimpson though, he's a long time collector and expert on High Standards.
    edited November -1
    can you tell me what a m100 is quote:Originally posted by JohnStimson
    There are two issues with interchanging the barrels - barrel mounting block fit and sight height.

The adjustable rear sights used on the Flite King, Supermatic and Olympic barrels of the lever name series would require a taller front sight than th eones used on the fixed sight model Sport King. In the case of using the target model barrels with the fixed sight Model GB and Sport King, the front sight will be too tall.

Note that the Olympic barrel is chambered in .22 short which requires a different magazine and an aluminum slide fitted to the frame.

The barrel mount fit can be an issue. In the lever letter sereis which includes the Model GB, the barrel mounts were selected and fitted since normal manufacturing practices and equipment did not allow random selection of parts that would fit propely. The barrels were numbered to the frame so that after fitting and bluing the fitted parts could be reunited. The next generation generally no longer numbered the barrels but I suspect that the best fitts were stil selected from parts on hand.

There is a good chance that barrels you mention will assemble but they might not have the correct fit. If too tight a gunsmith can probably rework one or both parts to achieve a proper fit. If loose, it would be much more difficult to rework for a proper fit.
  • JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    The Model M refers to the Dura-Matic M-100 and M-101 pistols.

However, High Standard used M100 designation on instruction sheets for the small pushbutton takedown pistols of the 100 and 101 design series and as a result many people incorrectly refer to the models in these design series as M-100 and M-101.

The Dura-Matics are actually marked M-100 and M-101 where as the small pushbutton guns are SK-100, FK-100, LW-100, S-100, O-100, FK-101, S-101 or O-101

A Sport King SK-100 is a small pushbutton takedown and the barrel will not fit your lever letter sereis Model GB. This is becasue teh takedown use two different mounting designs and not a tolerance and fit issue.
    edited November -1
    i found a gd model barrel lever takedownquote:Originally posted by JohnStimson
    The Model M refers to the Dura-Matic M-100 and M-101 pistols.

However, High Standard used M100 designation on instruction sheets for the small pushbutton takedown pistols of the 100 and 101 design series and as a result many people incorrectly refer to the models in these design series as M-100 and M-101.

The Dura-Matics are actually marked M-100 and M-101 where as the small pushbutton guns are SK-100, FK-100, LW-100, S-100, O-100, FK-101, S-101 or O-101

A Sport King SK-100 is a small pushbutton takedown and the barrel will not fit your lever letter sereis Model GB. This is becasue teh takedown use two different mounting designs and not a tolerance and fit issue.