In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gibbs lube

Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
Do any of you have any experience with the lube Gibbs? There were some very impressive displays at the gun show,pistol in a large jar of water for 2 days.I'm always on the lookout for something better in gun care.It is more expensive than Kroil or Breakfree ect. but does anyone feel the expense is worth it? Thanks Dave

Comments

• Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I havn't used it, but IMO the (many) lubes available are more than adequate for their job(s)....that is if you DO YOUR PART.

So, it is just a personal preference. Several people I shoot with use/prefer different lubes. Some for the ease of application, some for viscosity, some for SCENT ! I've got a Marlin that saw only 30wt ND motor oil for the first 15 years....and it is still a prime piece.

So if you like it ...use it. It may be better in some ways, not in others. Regardless, it will not make up for neglecting your piece.
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    --

I pretty much have to agree with gotstolefrom's observations regarding gun lubricants. Same goes with the solvents and gun preparations.

One problem we have is that rarely, if ever, has there been any serious, impartial testing of these "4 oz.-bottle-for-$12.95" wonder drugs, including oils. I just simply cannot bring myself to plunk down real cash money for a container of gun oil. (Free samples, however, are graciously accepted.)

To me, oils are the most simple. Apply a light coating, shoot the gun, clean the gun, apply a light coating, etc. As gotstolefrom states, all the gun lubricants out there are adequate if you maintain your gun(s) in the proper manner.

Do you know what a lot of them contain? Nah! I'm not sticking my toe in that water! Suffice to say that if the average shooter (95% of all shooters) goes to the hardware or drug store and buys a little can of 3-in-1 Machine Oil (they also have a 20 weight 3-in-1 electric Motor Oil, which is a little heavier), said shooter would have enough gun oil to last several years. Spend the money on ammo, components or another gun!

On the other hand, many shooters do actually need a specialty dry lube for various reasons, while others might need an oil with a much higher heat tolerance/breakdown resistance than normal, one that won't fling or slough off with repeated cycling of the action, some specialty oil/grease that keeps a plastic frame from interacting badly with metal components, etc. Unfortunately, most of the "4 oz.-bottle-for-$12.95" majikal dragon gizzard wonder oil won't hold up under those service applications.

UNDERSTAND HERE.....I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT PROTECTANTS designed to perform outside the ordinary corrosion protection afforded by regular gun oils. There are certainly products out there that protect finishes and offer long-term storage protection that are superior than gun oils. One that comes to mind is (forgot the manufacturer) called Marine Tuff Cloth.

Don't get me started on gun cleaning fluids, solvents, etc.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure about the Gibbs oil, but here is my .02 worth. I started using aerosol oils many years ago that contain teflon and have not yet had any of my guns rust or fail to function. It seems like the "RemOil" and "Outers Tri-Lube" both with teflon, stay on the metal and protect better than other oils.

It is reasonably priced and it works.

Best regards, Don
  • Options
    jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Gibbs and have been very satisfied, Also have started using Remoil with teflon that so far has also given me excellent results. I concur with the other posters to this thread,there are plenty of good products out there, but none of them are miracle replacements for plain old attention and regular service to your pieces.
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Gibbs. I think it's worth the price. That said there is nothing wrong with old fashoned gun care at a cheaper price. Beach
  • Options
    LoneStarManLoneStarMan Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Greatest stuff on the planet. Use it on my shotguns and every else around the house. Had some stubborn bolts on a fence repair job. Little Gibbs. Smooth as butter.
    I get mine from this guy.
    http://www.gibbslubtx.com/
    Real nice, trusted, and ships fast.

Hope that helps
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what its worth, Breakfree/CLP also has teflon particles in it as part of the original formula.

The point of the teflon is that the solid microparticles of it are supposed to lodge in microscopic cracks or pores in the metal and provide some residual lubricity after the oil has gone away.

I think the claimed effect does probably actually happen (ie the teflon particles probably do embed themselves in there), though the benefit of said particles is probably debatable.

I also agree that barring the most harsh conditions, neglect or abuse, there probably isn't much (or even any) functional difference between lube "A" and lube "Z". Pretty much all of the products designed for the purpose will work.

Some may work a little better than others for certain specific applications (eg in cold weather, in really hot full auto actions, as dual cleaners/lubes, etc).

I don't really get hung up about this, because I have yet to experience any failure of my gun that I could fairly attribute to lubricant. Utter LACK of lubricant?. . .yes, at least once I've run a semi-auto gun that was bone dry and choking that instantly ran fine with a few drops of lube. So yes, I do believe that lubricant is helpful and potentially necessary.

But THIS lubricant vs that one? Not yet, so far as I can tell.

Maybe if I were running hundreds of rounds at at time in a competition or gunfight in the desert with no time/ability to do routine maintenance, this *might* come up as an issue. But I don't see it happening for me anytime soon.