In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

savage 99 changeover ?

rusobr2rusobr2 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
i have an awesome post "64" sav. 99 in 300 cal. i quit using it a couple of yrs. ago due to the fact of ammo--i would like to change this gun over to 308 cal-- i was told by my "gun guru wanabe" the only things i had to do was change the barell,and rotary brass mag--to me this sounds to simple---so i ask the "experts" what else is their to this changeover ? i'm realy not concerned about value loss,as i have no intentions of selling it ! i just enjoy shooting it !

thanks......steven

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    LEAVE IT AS/IS .300 SAV. AMMO CAN BE FOUND AND ABOUT THE SAME $ A 'GOOD' .308 AMMO. A REBARREL AND RECEIVER WORK WILL COST MORE THAN A NEW RIFLE
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your heart is set on .308. Sell it and buy another...

You can break even or make a few.
  • rusobr2rusobr2 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks fellas ! as always i appreciate the input-- thought i better ask before i make a few costly mistakes (like i never made any before!)LOL!!!!

steven
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thought i better ask before i make a few costly mistakes (like i never made any before!)

Fella on the board here told me good stories come from bad decisions. I am pretty fond of my 99s too. If your really want one in .308, a better way to go would be to re-barrel one in .243.

.243 and .308 are indeed short action cartridges, I have no idea what the poster is talking about.
  • ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a small part of the cost of rebarreling you could buy a set of reloading equipment and gear up to load your own 300sav. 300 pieces of brass is probably a lifetime supply for your M99....
  • RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the same thought process going a couple of years ago. I was given some sage advice by a good friend and fellow hunter that I will pass on to you for consideration. The 300 Savage round is inherently an excellent round for the intended purpose and ammunition is available, albeit a bit on the pricey side. And it may be a good idea to stockpile a bit of the ammo to take along on road trips so you don't have to look for it.

Other than those slight inconveniences, the cost of conversion can never be recovered with the savings realized by using the slightly less expensive .308 round and if you decide to resell your rifle you may receive less because it isn't original.

I have had my old Model 99 300 Savage for about 6 years and hunt a little with it every year. During those 6 years I think I have fired less than 30 rounds through it and bagged 2 or 3 deer.
  • richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't believe such a conversion is even possible. Savage had to lengthen the 99's action so as to accept the new .243 & .308 cartridges back in the '50s. You could change barrels, but that would be it - a single shot solution only. The rotor, and likely the bolt, would not work.
  • rusobr2rusobr2 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    richarda--i understand the changeover as to be rotor (in 308) (barell in 308)and (bolt in 308) i thought all the 308,243, were short action anyways---you are talking they are long action ? anyways i can get barell for around 100.00 rotor for about 30--then the bolt is the question--haven't found one yet--mag is simple solution--just buy another one--just my thoughts ...... steven