In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

k31 swiss

ap3572001ap3572001 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d20/ap3572001/002-5.jpg

What wood is this ? Walnut? the rifle and the stock under the butt plate are from 1948
Thank You ./

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Lately I've seen quite a few of these in exelent shape at sportingood stores. The price seems fair at about $150. I'm not at all familiar with these rifles so any information at all would be greatly appreciated. Also the store selling these didn't have any ammo. How hard is it to come by and at what price
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hello to all. the state in which i live has finally ok'd rifles for deer. i was not really sure it was gonna happen, but , it is official, at least in some counties. i have posed this ? before, and to those that replied , thank you. but, never thinking it would become posible to use rifles, i did not copy the responses. so, here it is; what is the best scope mount for a swiss k-31?i was thinking a "scout" type mount, if one exists. if not ,than any mount that is reliable. these guns can shoot, however, in the hunting prime time , ie, dusk and dawn, older eyes just cannot do the iron sights.thanks, stevek.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm curious about the cost of ammo (if you don't reload) for these rifles. I understand the 7.5x55 can be a little tough to find (compared to the 7.62x54) in surplus. Who makes it as a new load?

Also, I'd like opinions on how they shoot. Are the claims of accuracy founded? What groupings would you see out of an example with bright bore?

Thanks!

MM336

Remington 870 large-frame Wingmaster 20
    Marlin 90 O/U 12
    Marlin 39A
    Marlin 336SS 30/30
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Looks like beech to me.

I meant to say beech and not birch [B)]

The K-31s are nice rifles:
    [img][/img]k31collection.jpg
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Supposedly Beech, but the Swiss no doubt experimented with other woods in addition to Walnut and Beech on a limited basis.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Any chance of seeing a few photos showing more of the wood? If there are lots of little orange flakes then it is beech. Hard to tell much based on the very select area of wood that you are willing to reveal.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ap3572001,

From their inception up until WWII they were made from Walnut. Starting in the very early years of WWII they switched to Beech. Your rifle could just be a dark stained Beech stock. You would have to pull the stock apart and see if it's serial no. matches that of the rifle. If it does and you have a serial number from 1948 then you have a beech stock stained dark like walnut.

FWIW, the grain is too wide for me to believe it's walnut. I'm thinking like Mark that it's beech.