In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Information on a pistol

tmaurertmaurer Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
I'm new to the forum. I know very little about guns, but I would like to get into target shooting with my family. I need a little help on gathering a little info on a gun that my dad gave me.

On the one side of the barrel it says: H. Schmidt Ostheim / Rhoen - Made In West Germany - Cal. .22 LR

On the other side it says: Walker International - Detroit, Michigan - Mod. 21

It has a bunch of other numbers stamped on it in various locations. I was wondering if anyone can tell me a little bit about the gun. I was also wondering if I would have any luck finding parts for it. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Here is a photo, though it's kind of crappy:

gun.jpg
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Herbert Schmidt was a West German manufacturer of inexpensive utility grade guns. Walker International is the name of the U.S. importer/distributor of your revolver.

One of the West German proof marks will be a date, it probably dates to the 70's.

Schmidt guns aren't either valuable or of particularly good quality. As long as it works use it for target shooting. I wouldn't be putting in a extra money in it, if it has to be repaired or parts have to be replaced.

Someone in the past has fitted U.S. made Ruger revolver grips to your revolver.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Rufe Snow is correct. It's also the same gun as the much more common F.I.E E-15 "Buffalo Scout". I've made a hobby of buying the guns when I could find them cheap ($50. or less). Which generally means they were in non working condition. Then fixing them. It's been a couple of years since my last project. But Numrich Arms usually had the parts I needed. If not, watch the auctions here. These guns are pretty easy to work on. Basically a scaled down copy of the Classic Colt design.
    I believe the new Heritage revolvers are also of the same basic design. So it's possible that some parts might interchange. But I have no experience in trying them.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    but atleast it is sporting ruger grips[:D]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its a zinc-alloy framed German made single action .22 in the style of the old "Cowboy" Colt peacemaker.

As mentioned, this exact same gun was imported by a number of different companies over the years, and sold under different names, including "Buffalo Scout":

FIE / Excam "Buffalo Scout":
    18289_0147_1_lg.jpg

Yours seems to have Ruger grips on there, which is sort of like sticking a "Ford" badge on your Kia sedan! [:p] Don't toss the grips, as they make up a not-insignificant percentage of the value of the gun.

The guns, bluntly, aren't that good, nor are they particularly valuable (say $100 or so). The soft internal parts and alloy frames mean they don't hold up to abuse well, and they aren't that durable.

But, if yours works, it should be fine for shooting tin cans and the like. If I'm right about the model here (and I think I am) parts and a schematic are available from Numrich arms here:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=1545

If your gun isn't functional and you can identify the problem, it might be worth fixing one up as a "plinker", but I wouldn't spend too much time or money/effort doing so.

Edit, For Bigloop, below:
    Put a Ruger badge on that car and I'll be impressed. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for the info! beantownshootah, thanks for the link to the schematic and the link to the parts.

The gun is fully functional. The only thing wrong with is that the stud on the ejector rod is broke off, so you have to take the cylinder out to unload. I wouldn't mind getting the proper stocks as well.

It will make a nice cheap plinker and conversation piece if I can get parts for cheap. Thanks everyone for the info.
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...and, just to show that you can stick a "FORD" badge on a KIA [:p]:

Festiva:

k0yv3pv7m4nxz0srvzfz.jpg

Aspire:

pieces.jpg