In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

mosin nagant 91/30

rwilson8rwilson8 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
Recently bought one at a gun show. Ex. condition metal and wood. No Russian markings on receiver or barrel. Muzzle end of barrel marked M91 7.62R FINLAND (self explanatory) on underside,and CAI ST.A VT above. Barrel has SA mark on top with no date or any other marks. Serial # is marked on hex receiver. Can you give me any historical info regarding these markings?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    what is the difference and advantages of a "hex" receiver, vs the standard one?? also, where is a good resource for info on these rifles online?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can you re blue ? If so is the process difficult?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    got mine today and was thinking about putting a scope on it but what ive seen on youtube where you knock out the pins on the rear site and i looked at mine and it doesnt have the 2 pins like all the other ones ive seen. its a 1940 make. is anyone elses like that? no pins? and what would i do to scope it i dont care to drill and tap it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Who makes a good, inexpensive trigger for the Mosin Nagant 91/30. The only trigger company I can think of is Timney.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your rifle is a fairly recent import. It was made in the Soviet Union ( Russia ). It was probably captured/acquired by the Finns during W W II, when they were fighting the communists. Click on this link, it's gives the history of the Finn 91/30's.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/FinlandsM9130Rifle.asp
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The SA is the mark the Finns put on their guns.
    If you want to learn the date of manufacture, remove the barrel and action from the stock. The date of manufacture is on the bottom of the tang, near where the screw goes. There is also a symbol which tells which of the three Russian armories made the rifle.
  • Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The CAI ST.A VT in the importers ID. This piece was impoted by Century Arms International St. Albans, VT.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I separated the steel from the wood as suggested. Still, all I can find is some seemingly random numbers on or near the screw boss. There is no arrow within a star or triangle and no imperial eagle. There are some small numbers on the underside of the barrel but they don't seem to be indicative of a manufacture year or a serial #. Also on the underbarrel are the letters JM clearly visible. The only marks visible when assembled are the SA on the barrel and serial# on the hex receiver (last three digits of serial also on bolt handle)
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rwilson8
    I separated the steel from the wood as suggested. Still, all I can find is some seemingly random numbers on or near the screw boss. There is no arrow within a star or triangle and no imperial eagle. There are some small numbers on the underside of the barrel but they don't seem to be indicative of a manufacture year or a serial #. Also on the underbarrel are the letters JM clearly visible. The only marks visible when assembled are the SA on the barrel and serial# on the hex receiver (last three digits of serial also on bolt handle)

Since the Finns didn't manufacturer receivers, and the receiver is of the earlier production "hex" configuration. It appears all the Soviet or Czarest markings were "Scrubbed" when being reworked/refurbished for the Finnish military.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since you have the hex receiver it probably is an M91, not the M91/30.
    Look carefully at the numbers on the bottom of the tang, near the screw hole. The Russians in the 19th century used only the last two numbers of the year of production. If you see "95", it was made in 1895.
    If the rifle was made in the 20th century, the Russians often used the last 3 digits of the date, thus it might say "913", meaning 1913. Or, it might use all 4 digits.
    The Russians often followed the date marking with what looks like a small letter "r". This is the Russian marking that means, "this is the date", the way we use "AD".
    Look at the other marking near those numbers. The Russians designated the three great state arsenals by symbols.
    If there is an arrow, it was made at Sestroryetsk.
    If there is an arrow drawn in a bow, it was made at Izhevsk.
    If there is a hammer, it was made at Tula.
    If the rifle was made prior to the commie takeover, there would have been a beautiful double headed Russian Czarist eagle on top of the receiver. The Finns usually, but not always, scrubbed these eagles off. The Finns sometimes, but not usually, scrubbed the date and place of manufacture.